extra cooling with oil cooler and fan

bergoff

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This winter I'm planing on install an external oil cooler. I have a 400ex quad that uses an oil cooler and alot of guys are running a 4inch spal fan. They run them as a puller and the fan uses 35watts. They are also waterproof. A lot of guys run them off of a switch so when they are idling or going slow they turn it on. Will the charging system be able to handle the fan?

Electrical system alternator is already at capacity, it won't do well with another 35 watts................you would end up with a discharged battery.

Using an LED taillight would save about 8 watts, but still not enough to help.

The only way might be to use a relay that switches off the headlight and switches on the cooling fan.(safety issue)

Just use the oil cooler with no fan, and avoid long stop lights:)

bergoff,

You need the fan when stopped and there is no cooling air from the breeze, but that is also the time when there is minimum oil circulation so the fan may not make a difference unless you also install MikesXS high capacity oil pump.

But, if you are going to have a fan, then do what I do. Install a relay that operates off of the neutral switch to turn off the headlight and turn on the fan when in neutral. That's an even trade. 35 watt headlight for 35 watt fan.

Back