Finally got a bike after a few setbacks. What oil, plugs, etc?

On your early model, the tail light isn't controlled by the key switch like on '78 and newer models, it's controlled by the headlight on-off switch. It shouldn't come on with the key unless that on-off switch is in the "ON" position. But, it might be the brake light that's coming on. In that case, the switch for it, most likely the rear one, is adjusted wrong.

Still interested in whether or not the starter motor spins when you just bump it?

Crossed the solenoid and it attempted to fire. Going to get a t joint and for fiel line and throw new plugs in and see what she thinks about it

Just so we're all reading from the same page...

"Power up" means turn the key on.
"Turns over" means the engine spins
"Fires" means a plug ignited the fuel/air mix in the cylinder and spun the engine.
"Runs" means ... well, it runs.

Yes, if there's any dirt or gunk in the float bowl, the choke jet is easily plugged due to it's location off to the side at the bottom. Turn the choke on and it sucks that gunk right in. If the jet is plugged, the choke won't work and the bike will be very hard to start cold .....

View attachment 207174

Here's how to check it .....

View attachment 207175

The choke jet is pressed in place so can't be removed for cleaning. You'll need to blow cleaner through it with compressed air.
Thanks for the info
I've just printed off the last 2 pages to take out to the shop
Reading is one thing but seeing it works for me

Just so we're all reading from the same page...

"Power up" means turn the key on.
"Turns over" means the engine spins
"Fires" means a plug ignited the fuel/air mix in the cylinder and spun the engine.
"Runs" means ... well, it runs.
I think im at the turns over stage going to get a t fitting and going to run some premium fuel. To it

No luck with that. Starter is spinning. Going to recharge the battery now.
You're gonna hafta start giving a little more detail for us to know what's going on. What does you "think" you're at the turns over...." Think? A description of what's happening would help.
"Starter is spinning." Was the engine spinning along with it... or was it "just the starter" freewheeling?
You'll find that when it starts to feel like we're pulling teeth... help will start to dry up.
Let's err on the side of too much info.

Think as in it sounds like everything inside is spinning as it should. And after a few, it starts clicking like maybe the starter actually attempted to go out and is just grinding gears. I can hear compression working inside though?

Ground the spark plugs to the engine, not the frame.
Will try that when i get back to the house thanks for the tip i think it could potentially be the points. Im just not familiar with how they should be. But they seem like they are far too tight.

Attachments

• 20220211_181144_HDR.jpg
    20220211_181144_HDR.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220211_181348.jpg
    20220211_181348.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Yes, everything on both sides looks kinda crusty. The points may be all corroded. The contacts aren't supposed to be all white like that. And the advance unit ..... jeez .....

I agree with the others that you have a lot of cleaning, lubricating, inspecting and correcting to do.
However, what you have going for you is that you have most or all of the basic parts on this bike, which is way more than many folks can say.
Persistence and patience will be your best friends, and you will be well-rewarded in the end.

Back