First Bike/Build, 1977 XS650 D

GasMonkey

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone, New Member here from ROCHESTER, NY! Just picked up a 1977 xs650 D, first bike ever! It runs but is running Lean. PO seemed to have very little knowledge of the bike. As far as I can tell it has few mods, air pods, bars,etc. Ive only rode the bike for a few miles to simply make sure it runs threw the gears. the bike has electric and kick start. Fairly decent shape wiring. Off that bat I know the battery is shot. Carbs appear to be off a 78' but I could be mistaken. Ill be pulling them apart soon for further Inspection and cleaning. Also right cylinder jug has quite a bit of weeping around the gasket. And the steering stem bearings seem to be shot. Possibly swingarm bushing as well. Im sure there is more after further inspection, this is all that I picked up on in the short time ive owned this bike, and did I mention it has less than 8k on tach? Im skeptical though. Lots of vibration from this ride. Appears to have been spilled atleast once, PO didnt admitt anything. With all that being said, I have always tinkered with engines (mainly trucks, and I am by no means a mechanic, im a HVAC tech and willing to take the time to learn and more than likely spend the $$. A friend of mine did a street track build on a 75 and I absolutely love it and I think that inspired my purchase. I have creeped these forums and look forward to all the excellent info to help make this bike my own! Iv already started a collection of print offs purchased a manual. Being this late in the summer for NY I dont have my hopes up for a enjoyable season of riding. But luckily I have other toys in the downtime! I apologize in advance for any (ignorant) questions. Like I said, first bike, with hopes of a rat/track style build. But like most things, time will tell.
Cheers All
Clark.
9EYQaZQ64oIPZ8xQA8Of5WukmL2swH_51gb0=w1144-h858-no.jpg
LjWDK6Sz0mnlyfwc4S3XRotXF2xrL3ep5dek=w1144-h858-no.jpg

Attachments

• 9EYQaZQ64oIPZ8xQA8Of5WukmL2swH_51gb0=w1144-h858-no.jpg
    9EYQaZQ64oIPZ8xQA8Of5WukmL2swH_51gb0=w1144-h858-no.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 2
If you carry through with the transformation could I be first in line for the tins and tank?
If you like tinkering you will enjoy the bike.
Re-tourqe your head and the oil weep will go away
Welcome to the site.

Thank you weekendrider, and Tinkerman I am, appreciate the tip and I was looking into that as a first step for the weep. I will note that and keep you in mind as parts come off, the tank does have a slight blemish/dent on the right side, but nothing major, I hardly noticed when I purchased. Ill post updates slowly.

Welcome to the forum, I am also new here and you'll find a wealth of information and help. I personally like the bike the way it is, I bet if you keep it the way it is now for twelve months, tinker with the needed repairs you've mentioned, it won't end up rat/tracked.... Ha!

Your bike to do as you like............

Pod filters could be a problem. Do a search on "Pod filters"

Some history on the 77D.

The 77D was hailed as the cumming of age for the XS650. New Larger 35mm forks with new calipers and rotors, new front guard with internal bracing to add to the 35mm forks stiffening up the front end, (remember this was in 1977), so all in all the 77D has become a sort after model, or considered one of the more collectable XS650's in its standard state.

As Michaelo suggested, get it running right and ride it. Ideas change from day to day and as with any project it is prudent to take the time to cement any ideas or they could change/morf into something else. Many a project owner has cursed him/herself after an irreversible change only to realize they have not done it for the better.

Thank you for the replies, I will be taking in as much info as possible and reading up day to day, and far as the bike sits right now, I completely agree Michaelo the bike has a great look. I pondered a few xs's before the purchase of this one, completely unknowing of the 77D being a more sought after model, I appreciate that info SKULL, and will surely keep that in mind before any drastic changes. My intentions for the bike will start with getting it running to an acceptable condition to start, I absolutely agree with that. Definitely stoked about the bike and this awesome forum. I will be reading up on the Pods and Carb Guide, the Pods it has are k&n, also does this exhaust appear to be the stock exhaust to everyone? It does have the cross bar pipe connect

Clark, looks like you've stumbled across a real treasure, just had a quick read of the sticky, I am sure there are plenty of "D" owners here on the forum who can appreciate your new bike....I don't even own a D, but it looks the goods....

Hi GasMonkey and welcome,
if it were mine, I'd leave it's look exactly as it is, except I'd find it a stock front fender.
That tubular chrome fork brace may well put back the stiffening that left with the front fender but it don't work at all to deflect the rain water the front wheel throws off.
Yes to head race tapered rollers, bronze swingarm bushings and head bolt re-torque.
UNIpods work, others not so much.
'Bars is like shoes, they gotta fit right. Took me several bar-swaps to get the optimum bend.
You didn't say, how old are the tires? There's a datestamp code on the sidewall. If they are more than 6 years old they are as hard as wood so swap them out even if they look perfect.

Superbike bars work well. Your tank is the larger of stock tanks. Your bike looks good as it sits. Tapered bearing in the steering neck, Brass swingarm bearings and proper shocks will make you think its a different bike. Don't be afraid of carbs. Richen up the mains and pilots after a carb cleaing. Read the carb notes in the tech section. Ride the wheels off. These are not the fastest or quickest bikes, but they are fun bikes. "B" roads is where these bikes shine.

Appreciate the replies ty, I browsed the sticky as well and I just got me more pumped for this bike I have. The tires did look to be in decent shape but I will surely check the date stamp thanks for that tip fred. Tapered bearings and bronze bushing on order. I wasnt sure about the brace either but for now it will do until some other pieces come together. The bars on it now arent the worst but I dont like how the right side lever, mirror, and master cylinder are not in line with the left, appears it is touching the speedo and cant move any further forward, have to see what changes will be made with that. I found the current Main Jet at 135 and Pilot at 27.5 and if im correct are a 78' stock carb jets if im reading the guide correctly, I do have a handful of jets I acquired from a friend to play with.
As far as shocks go, is it at all wise or not to go for a shorter style due to being of the shorter nature? My mind is quickly being changed the more I read on chopping too much of this bike haha.

OoooH no you had a great idea. Swap it all out and sell me the tin.:wink2:
I'm two blue right now and need that red.:laugh:
:jk:
I hope you keep it as original as possible.

Jetting is easily (and often) changed. You could have a '78-'79 carb set or maybe just those jets put in the '77 set. There are other things to look for to get a more positive I.D. '77 float bowls will have a hose nipple on the bottom for an overflow hose. '78-'79 bowls won't. But, that's not a 100% I.D. because the later bowls could have easily been swapped on there. You'll need to look at the carb body for that, specifically at the intake bells. The '77 intakes will have two small air jet holes at about 4 and 8 o'clock .....

BS38AirJets.jpg

'78-'79 intakes will have two additional larger round holes above the air jets, at 3 and 9 o'clock .....

LateCarbThroat.jpg

A 135 main may be a little large for your carb set and your mods. A 130 or 132.5 would probably be better. And the needles will need to be leaned a step to position #2 (from the top).

Get find, I have a 77 and could use some of your stock parts if you decide to sell. I would keep the look stock if I would own the bike. Look forward to your build….

Back