first time having the engine apart since I have had her

I am putting up all of the left cylinder pictures first this is the one I have started to clean and where I had my oil/gas leak

Attachments

• IMG_9641.jpg
    IMG_9641.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 104
the last shot and this one are from the right side cylinder which I have not started to clean yet

Attachments

• IMG_9643.jpg
    IMG_9643.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 97
My 1978 had a little bit of steel removed around the big valves just like yours. I assumed someone had tried to do some ratty porting, but maybe they did it from the factory.

SO I need to ask, does your bike run well?
I am trying to figure if this could affect how it runs.

And do I finish on the inside where they took all the little bites out of the casting and use a polishing stone and smooth it out.

As for the little marks.....have seen that posted numerous times before.....factory did that was the consensus I believe.........shouldn't hurt a thing......

xsjohn

did you look at the gouge out of the lip of the head of the cylinder.

I am curious if you think this would affect how it runs? from what I can see it is on both sides. I don't know if this would be factory as well.

strange

so I just got back from machine shop and the answer is my cylinder walls are at maximum spec. 2.954 so I guess. I have two options have my jugs resleeved or have them bored 1 over and buy new pistons and rings for 1 over.

any suggestions on which will be easier and less expensive would be greatly appreciated.

either way looks like I have to save for a little before I proceed.

thanks for all your help up to now guys

mortikan

Back