Flasher canceling system

Casull

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Has anyone ever pulled one apart (Flasher canceling box black box) or know the resistance values between the pins on the plug?
Or maybe the internal circuit diagram of it?
Just trying to work out something on my 78 special.

thanks

All I know is that system has never worked very reliably on either of mine. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not at all and I must do the cancelling myself. I don't have a clue why. I think it's broke then it works again the next time I use it, lol.

All I know is that system has never worked very reliably on either of mine. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes not at all and I must do the cancelling myself. I don't have a clue why. I think it's broke then it works again the next time I use it, lol.
I have one Yamaha that works exactly like that. My XS650SK cancel has always functioned as advertised. My suspect has been the glass sensor. As the bike has and electronic flasher and LED lamps.

I'd like to know the exact functionality of the self cancel unit.
I've read various things in various places and forums saying 150 meters must be traveled before they cancel, also that it might also use a timer in conjunction with that.
If I could get some reliable information on what it should do when working correctly I could try to replicate it, I'd be thinking of using GPS to measure time and distance.

I know that there could be certain problems with that way of doing it but I'd like to give it a try.

I've found that yanking the self canceling unit and relying on the eye-to-thumb control works best every time. It never shuts off before the turn is completed........ other opinions may vary.

I've found that yanking the self canceling unit and relying on the eye-to-thumb control works best every time. It never shuts off before the turn is completed........ other opinions may vary.
It’s all in what you’re accustomed to. It’s a simple solution if you can turn them off yourself.

It's distance based only, counts pulses fed from a (magnetic inductor?) pick up on the back of the speedometer housing.
I leave em be, kinda fun to time the blinker so it shuts off automatically just after the corner. (yeah I'm easily entertained).
Noticed the one on the 81 I just woke up isn't working.

It is also time based as well, the handlebar switch momentarily engages to start the timer in the flasher canceller as well as the Speedo sensor which closes after x distance
I would like to try and replicate it with something I could program

turn signal cancelera.jpg
turn signal canceler.jpg

I just deleted the flashers, switch and harness. Works great.
Sounds like the best long term plan to me.
I doubt if anyone has actually bothered to pull one of these units apart, most folk just junk them as I don't believe they're a legal requirement anywhere, so there's no incentive to fix them when they fail.
I'm thinking that you'll probably find an early microprocessor lucking within the sealed casing, along with a few other components to help it work properly

Yeah it should be an easy enough anduino project for someone does that kind of thing (not ME!).
But like said the chooper boober guys and others just toss em so there's no shortage. Prolly find one for postage if you ask nice on the classy page.

Back