Found an old pic of my dad and his bike

jgage916

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I found this picture of my Dad, circa 1980-1983. I've been looking for my first xs650 for a while now and just stumbled across this picture. I knew he rode but I never knew what. Its also the only picture I have of him grown where he isn't bearded , I had to look twice, lol.Im not sure the year and don't know how to tell. Id ask him but he died in a car crash in 07, so when i get one, probably at tax time, it will be in memory of him

Attachments

• IMG_20140614_200605_007-1-1.jpg
    IMG_20140614_200605_007-1-1.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 317
Hi jgage and welcome,
great to hear that you are looking to memorialize your dad in this way.

Looks like 1978 or 1979 Special. Those were perhaps the best years, before the styling and interlocks went crazy.

& Hi RG,
I prefer the 1980 & newer Special's no points iggy and lift-off seat.
Most "Styling" can be changed to please one's aesthetic sense by re-upholstering the seat and by swapping in parts from other years.
And, yeah, by tossing those effin' interlocks.

Thanks y'all, it was crazy to find that picture, I was just starting to get interested in the xs650's, id seen some real nice ones in The Horse Backstreet Choppers and online. Then I was going through some of my Dad's stuff I had in storage and found a bunch of pictures, that one was on top. It was the first time I had ever seen that picture

I still have the bike, and my dad. The vintage pic is buried somewhere at mom and dad's house. I know there was a day of Polaroids with my dad on the 79XS, cousin on the 500 Suzuki Titan, and another cousin on the CB350 honda. Gotta find those pics.

Back