Frame differences.

robtattoo

Someone said there'd be cookies???
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the site although not to 70s/80s Jap bikes.
I'm looking at picking up an '81 Special this weekend & I was wondering if anyone knew; are the Special frames different to standard? I'd much prefer the standard tank & seat to the spesh, but they remain almost unobtainable in my area (I'll be driving 6 hours each way for this'n!)
Could anyone tell me if they're cross compatible, or am I stuck with a Special?

Last edited:
Sounds familiar.
I always wanted the Standard but settled for a Special - until a Standard was acquired.
In hindsight I should have waited

If you can compare pictures of the two finished stock bikes,'81 and newer Specials and say '77 to '79 Standard, notice the shock angles are different along with where the seats meet the frame and then flow into the side cover tins below. The Special has an angle there about mid seat where the Standard is a parallel line to the ground, and the Specials side covers are designed for that angle.

Putting a Standard seat on should include an exchange of the side tins to get rid of the gap that will now appear due to the Special seats angle, imho. It's not a terrible thing if you don't but that gap will grab your eye. Like Gary says, it can be done but a bit of work is involved for the tins and seat.

The Special, '81 and newer, with its lift off seat comes with some extra protuberances attached to the frame rail which the Standards side hinged seat doesn't have and the plastic side covers are a push in fit for the Special whereas the Standards hang from a couple of tabs on the frame rail and are then secured with a spring loaded push in lock.
And then there's the shock angle.......

I now embrace the Special for what it is, aside from those buckhorn handlebars.........though mine is long gone.
Welcome aboard!

Sounds familiar.
I always wanted the Standard but settled for a Special - until a Standard was acquired.
In hindsight I should have waited

If you can compare pictures of the two finished stock bikes,'81 and newer Specials and say '77 to '79 Standard, notice the shock angles are different along with where the seats meet the frame and then flow into the side cover tins below. The Special has an angle there about mid seat where the Standard is a parallel line to the ground, and the Specials side covers are designed for that angle.

Putting a Standard seat on should include an exchange of the side tins to get rid of the gap that will now appear due to the Special seats angle, imho. It's not a terrible thing if you don't but that gap will grab your eye. Like Gary says, it can be done but a bit of work is involved for the tins and seat.

The Special, '81 and newer, with its lift off seat comes with some extra protuberances attached to the frame rail which the Standards side hinged seat doesn't have and the plastic side covers are a push in fit for the Special whereas the Standards hang from a couple of tabs on the frame rail and are then secured with a spring loaded push in lock.
And then there's the shock angle.......

I now embrace the Special for what it is, aside from those buckhorn handlebars.........though mine is long gone.
Welcome aboard!

Thank you!
Yeah, there's a special place in my trash can for those bars; right next to the godawful engine bars & rack/sissy bar combortion 🤮

Thank you!
Yeah, there's a special place in my trash can for those bars; right next to the godawful engine bars & rack/sissy bar combortion 🤮

Any pics to share of this potential new acquisition?
Engine bars and rack/sissy bar might be an item you could sell in the classifieds if you secure the purchase. Something to keep in mind.

Screenshot_20230802_100755_Facebook.jpg

Right now, that's all I have. I'm going to pick it up Friday so I can get a better look.

View attachment 248331

Right now, that's all I have. I'm going to pick it up Friday so I can get a better look.
Yeah, that sissy bar/rack is pretty hideous. Funny thing is, like double knit slacks and leisure suits, most thought it was cool in the late 70's early 80's.

Luggage rack might be a bit much but the smaller crash bars could find a home.
Silver for '81 isn't as common as black for that year - rare.......thinking there's at least another in the forum here.
Looking at the clocks for the red ink designating the 55mph and up - along with the redline for the tach......they're not faded, something I like to see. Says bike has been kept out of the sun.
Mileage is a concern of course.....can't tell from here.
Cleaned up with a Standard or lower set of handlebars, go through the "New bike to me" thread and I'd be riding that with a smile ear to ear.
Specials are coming into their own.
Wish ya the best.

Screenshot_20230802_150954_Facebook.jpg

If that's a good metric, it looks great!

I've been inside a few Xses over the years, I used to work for an importer back in the UK, & without hearing it run, there's nothing I've learned about it, so far, that's even hinting at a concern. The lady is selling it on behalf of her recently deceased husband who was riding it until he passed in February this year. She tells me that it fires right up.
As long as there's no unusual bottom end knocking or cam rattle (which I doubt at <9000 miles) it'll be coming home with me.

Hi there, new to the site although not to 70s/80s Jap bikes.
I'm looking at picking up an '81 Special this weekend & I was wondering if anyone knew; are the Special frames different to standard? I'd much prefer the standard tank & seat to the spesh, but they remain almost unobtainable in my area (I'll be driving 6 hours each way for this'n!)
Could anyone tell me if they're cross compatible, or am I stuck with a Special?
Going Special to a more standard appearance is not hard but the are several easy steps you will need to consider. I documented it here https://www.xs650.com/threads/its-time-to-start-a-winter-project-the-red-bike.62447/
It is a winter project jus now complete. I started with an "81 Special. It is a longer thread but I would be glad to give you a recap via private message as many here have seen this over the last 9 months. Some folks here have sourced an 18 inch Yamaha rear cast rim from an SR500 or other model. Cheers and welcome. Remember, we want pics.
StartRedBike.jpg
redbike11.jpg

Going Special to a more standard appearance is not hard but the are several easy steps you will need to consider. I documented it here https://www.xs650.com/threads/its-time-to-start-a-winter-project-the-red-bike.62447/
It is a winter project jus now complete. I started with an "81 Special. It is a longer thread but I would be glad to give you a recap via private message as many here have seen this over the last 9 months. Some folks here have sourced an 18 inch Yamaha rear cast rim from an SR500 or other model. Cheers and welcome. Remember, we want pics.
View attachment 248344View attachment 248343

I just read the entire thread, front to back. That's a pretty awe inspiring build you got there!

I just read the entire thread, front to back. That's a pretty awe inspiring build you got there!
I have since added a few changes/additions.I gave sidecover mounts more detail. I think I covered it all in 6 steps.I would be glad fill in more info any time.

Yes, my Special is growing on me, lol. I've had a Standard for many, many years and love it, but I acquired a Special finally a few years ago. And now after a few changes (bars and seat), I quite like it. That huge humped seat is comfortable but very UGLY, lol. The 1980 lift off seat is a direct swap and has less of a hump .....

NewSeat.jpg

Oh yeah, the '81 on seat is a ugly as a mud fence. I could never understand why Yamaha (and Honda) discovered 1970s fashion in the 80s.....
It may be getting the bread-knife treatment & a fresh cover.

Back