Front brake help for my 81 xs650

Scott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have tried to get my "new" xs650 to stop with front brakes and gave up. I bought a new stock type 14mm m/c, ss single brake line, brake pads and a caliper rebuild kit to install. I would prefer to replace the caliper with a more modern multi piston caliper if that would improve over stock performance if I can find a direct bolt on. Does the YZF 600 bolt onto the forks using the original holes and fit the rotor? I do not want to try to rebuild the caliper myself and would like another option. Any ideas before I proceed anyone?

I think I am confused, what did you give up on? The XS650 front caliper is VERY easy to rebuild, there is a great how to thread in tech. The stock caliper with a 12mm master SS line and Vesrah VD-205J pads offers excellent braking, very much in keeping with how an XS650 typically gets ridden.

You must not have searched the forum much before you bought a 14mm MC

IMHO before you go "buy more stuff" learn to assemble what you have and make it work. Brakes 101 is the same on any MC disk brake setup. If you get this working and then decide to change components you will know how to work on the new stuff. "Old motorcycle" isn't a destination, it's a journey.

yes, a xs caliper is very easy to rebuild.the only hard part is to get the piston out.and thats not really very hard.i just used a rubber nipple on a air blow gun.in the hole where the brake line goes.you do have to be a bit carefull tho.once the caliper is off, pad the area where the piston can shoot out into with rags. then just add increments of air pressure until the piston comes out.some guys use a grease gun on the bleeder nipple. that works also.but messier. either method werks. after piston is out, clean everything up surgical clean and install new kit.if your piston is a bit rusty you may want to get a new one.or polish yours up on a buffing wheel. thats what i did. look for crystellized brake fluid around the seal. wash and scrape it out.once everything is clean jus put in the kit and bleed it.mine works awesum now.

I agree with the lads saying the stock caliper/disc gives good braking for our bikes.

However, if Scott is determined to go with stronger more modern braking, there is the option to go with Brembo 4 piston calipers. As mentioned, they are not a direct bolt on, but must use an adapter plate. Pandemonium Cycle does the hard part for you, or if you like being creative, you can make up your own adapter, as I did (view my album if interested).

Back