front brake improvments for a 75

yamchop

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just looking for any info on improving the front brake on my 75. dual brake set up is what id like to do. the 75 has the early caliper set up. :confused:

Last edited:
Dual discs on the front will add extra unsprung weight, which is not the best way to go.

Another choice would be to use a Brembo goldline 4 piston caliper. You will get excellent braking with just one of these on the front. You need an adapter bracket. "Pamdemonium" sells an adapter kit for 34 mm forks I believe. Use the Google Search in the upper left corner to find more info.

Attachments

• Brembo front mounting.JPG
    Brembo front mounting.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 176
There are a few things I'd try before swapping parts, Tearing down both the master cylinder and caliper to clean, inspect and repair anything found. Then replace the old rubber lines with braided stainless steel lines.
If this wasn't enough then I might try a master cylinder with a smaller bore. Your stock 75 had a 16 mm bore M/C, swapping this for a later 14 mm bore M/C will have a great effect on how your brakes work.
You can also get M/C's with smaller bores. 13 or 12 mm. Are common sizes used on many bikes. an 11 or 10 mm maybe too much. Try a few and see.
Leo

I upgraded the brakes on my tracker with one of the 35mm kits from Pandemonium Choppers. Got a 4 piston, 65mm bolt space, Bembro caliper and MC. Already had stainless braided lines and drilled rotor. This is, IMHO, the best upgrade for an XS. The difference is amazing. I live in the mountains of NE Georgia where the only straight road is my driveway. My route is 45 min of nothing but twisties where the new brakes put a big grin on my face. Two fingers and very progressive, almost as good as my VFR. If you need lines made, try yoyodyne.com. The AMA pro I pit for recommended these guys. I gave Fred the length, banjo bend and VISA #. Had the line on the bike 5 days later.

Is there any reason not to replace the original lines with a single braided steel line? Do I need to get two separate lines like it is stock? Is there anywhere that I can buy generic sizes (as opposed to having them made like MtnBoy suggested)?

Mike's sells a single line. Most any of the aftermarket people sells lines in different lengths.
Look at J&P, Dennis Kirk, Drag Specialties.
Shop around on Ebay.
Leo.

Running the lines to the junction beneath the headlight makes for a tidy installation. One thing for sure, if you use the Bembro caliper, you will need to use a 90 degree banjo as the line exits from the top of the caliper. Bend the stock line support and run the line up the fork for a short distance, then to the junction. Have Performance Suspension rear shocks and fork springs, now just need some sticky sport bike type tires to replace the Kendas. Any recommendations for 18 rears and 19 fronts? Thanks.

You don't need the two line set-up with the junction block. That was put there in case a second disc was added so the second line could be "Y"d off. Most of us do go one piece on the line and eliminate the junction block. You can fab up a bracket "guide" for the new line to bolt in place of the block .....

BrakeLineGuide.jpg

Back