Front Cam Chain Guide Replacement

When I try to turn the crank over to get to TDC, the whole jugs lift up. Ruining my MotherF'n gasket sealer goop. I went thru a full tube because this kept breaking the seal, I get so frustrated. If I remove the head Nd push down on the pistons, they go down, I can use the manual 17mm to move the crank to a point it starts lifting everything upward. I want to get it to TDC and put the cam in.

Alright so I'm making progress slowly but surely. When my pistons are just about eyeballed TDC, the timing marks are off on the Rotor. I want to get those right before I finish putting the cam in. Any help? When I try to get it to TDC by rotating manually with a wrench, as soon as I almost get the marks lined up it starts it's exhaust stroke and jumps down past the TDC line.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 148
The crank shouldn't run past the "T" mark unless you have the top cover w/ the rockers installed. With some rockers pushing on valves, that force will transfer through the rocker and push/turn the cam. The cam will turn the crank through the cam chain. If you don't have the timing marks right yet, you shouldn't have the top cover on yet.

Set the crank (slash on rotor) on the "T" mark. This will put the pistons at TDC. Now install the cam with the notch on the left side of the sprocket pointing straight up. I think you may be off one tooth on the install now. Either that or your cam chain is really stretched out. Your cam probably looks something like this now, except the notch will be off to the left with the motor set on the "T" mark (TDC) .....

CamNotch.jpg

My whole problem is when I try to put the mark on the "T" mark it jumps past it. Once it's on the T mark then I know how the cam lines up. The picture I took is where you feel resistance, like the piston is at TDC.

Do you have the top cover installed? If so, take it off.

What do you mean by the top cover? Where the acorn bolts go? I do not. I have the cam in, basically just to hold the timing chain up right now. Sorry this is my first go through with a build I am new.

Yes, the top cover is where the acorn nuts go. It's just as the name describes, it covers the top of the motor. Well then, your motor should stay on the "T" mark, I don't know why it isn't. You may need to enlist a helper to hold the wrench on the crank and the rotor mark on the "T". Then you can check to see if the notch on the cam is pointing straight up.

When the Notch is on the T mark I am supposed to get the cam aligned properly which I know how to do no problem. But for some reason the pistons are at TDC before my indicator dial on my crank is at the T mark. As soon as I try to hit the T mark the crank spins past it. Nothing I can stop. I'm not sure if I don't understand it or what

You can stop it by holding a wrench on the crank nut. You must use a wrench, you can't use a ratchet. A ratchet won't stop it from running past.

Ok I'll enlist a helper to hold the crank nut To align the mark with the T mark, Deffinetly need 2 hands as it forces past the T mark. Then I'll put the cam in the correct position, once he releases the wrench and the crank turns, The cam will be in the right time.

Back