Fuel consuption

irristeve

Grow old disgracfully
Reaction score
Hi all,Wet for a good ride yesterday bike ran good all day,but was a bit alarmed at fuel consuption,I run a 750 rephase,cleaned up ports,mild street cam,old VM34s,uni-fillters,unrephased points,std headers,turn out mufflers(650 central)& both of Mikes oil coolers & one of those neat oil tep.dip sticks,on the ride out sat on 5000rpm(125km/h)2 up & had to switch to reserve at 105kms(about 9 lts)on the run home at legal speed (100klm)got 156klm before switching to reserve,not good but better,just wondering what other peoples exsperince are running a bit hard 2 up.ps.It was pretty warm day 36c very hummid,oil temp.got to 225f when running at 5000rpm dropped back to about 200f at legal speed,any Idea's?????coments

Yup, you're getting poor fuel consumption. I don't ride 2 up, so I can't help there.

2080 km trip last summer in the mountains ( with about 30 lbs of bags), I got
23.7 kms/L or 55.8 mpg. I only have the 11 litre tank, but I've never hit the reserve yet. I drive at around 3900 rpm on the highway.

You could go down to a lower number of teeth in the rear sprocket. Are the carbs tuned up? Make sure the float level is correct. 5000 rpm is going to such alot of gas (petrol)

Last edited:
Yup, you're getting poor fuel consumption. I don't ride 2 up, so I can't help there.

2080 km trip last summer in the mountains ( with about 30 lbs of bags), I got
23.7 kms/L or 55.8 mpg. I only have the 11 litre tank, but I've never hit the reserve yet. I drive at around 3900 rpm on the highway.

You could go down to a lower number of teeth in the rear sprocket. Are the carbs tuned up? Make sure the float level is correct. 5000 rpm is going to such alot of gas (petrol)

thanks for that just changed gearing from 17/30 to 18/34 goes a lot better,pretty sure I have 1 dude carb,have put a lot of time into the vm34s left is good right dosent respond to mixture srew,right always runs out first,when the rain stops will do a run at legal speeds 1 up & see what happens,take care

If you have the generic Q2 needle jets in your VM34's, that's about what you can expect. Refer to the Carb Guide, VM section, for baseline jetting.

Back