Ghetto Scramblin' XS (build)

RedRooster

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Whats up everybody my name is Red Rooster. Im a long time listener, first time caller! I came up on a 1975 xs650 about a 1 1/2 year ago. Like most, I just wanted to upgrade a couple of things and put this baby on the road but, well, you know how it goes...
this is an early picture of her with the fenders and exhaust removed.
DSCF0555.jpg

I modified the headlight bucket by installing an on-off-on toggle switch, a blue high beam indicator light, and a green Neutral indicator light. I found all three at Pepboys. Updated the headlight with one from mikes xs. Ive got to some how plug that hole, it makes the headlight look like some kind of S&M gimp or a blow up doll.. uh, actually maybe I wont plug it.
DSCF0552.jpg

had the engine covers polished. Its a pain in the ass to keep them looking so shiney but well worth it.
DSCF0548.jpg

I bought and installed some K&N motocross handle bars I won on ebay and they look pretty kick ass if I may say. The previous owner had installed some pretty cooldrag bars but nothing beats the look of a Dirt tracker/ scrambler.
I wanted to install a cafe seat while keeping the rear fender and rear frame loop. I just want to have the option of switching from stock seat to single cafe seat just incase some baby doll asks for me to give her a spin....Call me Romantic. so while surfing the net not to long ago I ran into a tutorial video by Kott Motorcycles which showed you how to make a custom cafe seat out of 1/4 inch steel rod and sheet metal. so I had a go at it.
photo.jpg

Then shortly after I found a 1976 tank on ebay in very awesome condition for $70 shipped and a buddy reupholstered my stock seat brown. Does this scream 70's bike?
photo-1.jpg

I am going to paint the Frame, front forks, hadlight, sidecovers, and fenders; satin black. the seatwill be upholstered in black. I am trying to make a bike that can go from stock to cafe to scrambler by just switching around tanks and seats.
photo-2.jpg

I made an engine stand from plans I found here on this site and pulled the engine for cleaning and painting of the frame. When bought the engine came with the 36mm Mikuni carbs set up. I bought it a pamco pete ignition system, the dual Green monster coil and mounted it with Jokers coil mount. Im going to purchase Hughs PMA next.
photo-3.jpg

I removed the starter and pluged it with a 1-53/64 freeze plug (which I had to buy a ten pack because they didnt want to sell me just one...dicks. it still only cost 6 bucks for 10)
photo-6.jpg

also so far I have upgraded the suspension with progressive springs/ upgraded the neck bearings/ added an Amal throttle/ Bronze swing arm bushings/ replaced all filters and seals/ new rear springs all from mikes xs. Thanks to all who have posted in this forum you have helped me a ton
I want this baby up and running by superbowl Sunday. Wish me luck.

What kind of rear shocks are those? Are they lowered? Looks great!

I saw the same tutorial from kott he makes it looks easy, how did the cafe pan and cowl build go?

Thank you INMOTIONPHOTOG. I really dig the seat as well. Formed the front part of the seat foam to cup my ass...It feels awesome.

AIRSOFTNY- the shocks are from mikes xs 12 3/4 (monza traditional) part #06-3607 they are not lowered.
The seat build was fun. It took me a few nights going slowly. I dont dig the design kott used for that tutorial but the concept is great. I bought a Harbor freight ring roller that made everything go quick (part #36790) I had to lay sheat metal down in strips because my metal working skills are not there yet. I also made brakets so that it will bolt on and swing open like the original stock seat. I mocked up some foam over the seat pan and sat on it and that seat fit awesome. Im surprised at how sturdy it is. (although I know some spots will need to be reinforced) I think it came out great. I want to make another before I take the frame to paint. the 2.0 version will be better.

I found this cool area on the neck, just under the front of the tank, to place a kill switch. There are some holes there already so why not utilize them.
photo-13.jpg

I also framed up a battery/ reg-rec/ ignition bracket? box? I wanted to place the ignition switch behind the side covers. I made the mini battery box out of angle iron and framed up the rest with 1/4 in rod from home depot. next I will cut up an old door kickplate to wrap the frame with. p.s. dont make fun of my welds, I owe my grinding skills to them.
photo-11.jpg

photo-9.jpg

finished up my battery box. one side holds the reg/rec and the other side holds the key ignition. the top holds a mini battery.
photo-17.jpg

photo-16.jpg

here it is primered
photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

painting the frame this weekend! stay tuned!

Thanks for the words of encouragement gents':thumbsup:
My booger welds will hold but I'm hoping what I lack in welding skills I can make up in character:laugh:
Will be upholstering that seat next week/paycheck.
will keep you guys posted.

After several mixtures of clear and flattener, I finally finished painting the frame/ light bucket/ and fenders. The black is still glossier than what I wanted but does not look all that bad. My buddies car port looked like a frozen in time explosion of an XS650 with all the parts hanging from the ceiling.
photo-27.jpg

loaded all my parts in the back seat of the car the following day and went home to begin re-assembly.
photo-28.jpg

The hardest part was putting the engine in by my self... yes I did scratch the frame a little but nothing Im going to cry over.
Every thing is not tightened down, will spend a whole morning going over every bolt and double checking for washers / Rubber grommets/ lock washers.

I mocked up a mild cafe version with my undone cafe seat and a pair of drag bars.
photo-24.jpg

I also mocked up a standard version with my brown seat and dirt track bars
photo-26.jpg

photo-22.jpg

And this is a hybrid of both.
photo-20.jpg

She looks ready to go but I still have to run wires, PMA unit, chain, battery...etc, etc.
-Rooster

Cafe version looks good to me. You've done a heap of work there. Don't forget a bit of locktight on the bolts these things vibrate everything loose. I reckon my bike comes back lighter every ride.

I'm on it Aussie, I got both the Red and Blue Loctite ready to go. Im running electrical and upholstering the seat this weekend. I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...wait, is that a train?:yikes:

Back