good advice

JBoy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok guys bare with me.
gotta 72 xs650 i chopped. hasnt run in a couple year just because i just havnt fooled with it.. it ran when i parked it. put everything back together the other night first kick and BOOM fired right up. got some gas coming out of the throat holes. everything is good but i cant rev, only runs on choke and "one lunging it" pulled one of the plug wires and it shut down.. kicked it back and pulled the other wire and nothing happened. checked spark and have plenty.. kicked it again and sprayed some brake cleaner in the one carb and i could hear the other cylinder come to life. pulled said carb and walking to my work bench i happened to turn it upside down and fuel poured out. kinda nasty looking but fuel non the less. pulled it completely apart and it was SPOTLESS needless to say i sprayed every hole and or-phis and assembled it. dont know where to go from here ANY IDEAS OR HELP WOULD BE MEGA APPRECIATED !!!
Thanks
JBoy

If you parked it 2 years ago and tried to start it without draining the stale gasoline then you have probably plugged up the carb(s).Gonna have to drain that shit and clean the carbs again. Gas goes bad pretty quick. You just plugged your arteries. Lol

sorry,, i parked it dry. carbs were not on it and i had pulled the tank to work on it so all the fuel is brand new

nope.. bone stock. engine and charging system is stock from when i had the bike as original before i chopped it. i was thinking about pulling the other carb off and just pulling it apart as well.. it really does not make sense to me for both carbs have fuel line going to them

dont spell so good when im drinking but thanks for the lesson
also thanks for that link i will check it out

Hi JBoy and welcome,
Once you've sobered up and checked out the carb links, try this:-
First, recheck for big fat sparks from both plugs.
Then take the carbs completely to pieces (except for the butterflys, they're a bitch) and squirt carb cleaner through every jet, hole, needle, orifice and passageway there is.
Then blast them with your air gun.
Check the floats & float needles too.
Reassemble and try starting it.
Let us know if that works, eh?

i sure will thanks .. looked at the links and the section on here for carb identifier and mine dont really look like those. i only have one choke and no place on the other carb even for a choke. i will definitely clean the other and check the spark. i am worried that the way the way the two carbs are joined by the three hoses.. i am worried that i have em wrong and am looking into that know

- - - looked at the links and the section on here for carb identifier and mine dont really look like those. - - -

Hi JBoy,
if the carbs don't look like the carbs in the link perhaps they are orphans that the dreaded PO installed?
Did the bike ever run for you with those carbs?
Can you post a photo that shows what they look like?

.... i only have one choke and no place on the other carb even for a choke.

... i am worried that the way the way the two carbs are joined by the three hoses.. i am worried that i have em wrong and am looking into that know

Sounds like 72-73 carbs, with the shared choke.
That third hose may be connecting the bowl vents, which should be vented to the atmosphere.

See if this helps:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36700

yes it ran great. i rode that bike for about four yrs as original before i chopped it.. the blown up pic of Jaboney carb looks exactly like mine.. just dont remember that one hose hooking to the vent on the bowl.. is that how they are supposed to be. the other of the two hoses join the two carbs together correct ? i had all three hooked together. yes it is a 72

this is the carb on the side that i was having trouble with..

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 207
.. just dont remember that one hose hooking to the vent on the bowl.. is that how they are supposed to be. the other of the two hoses join the two carbs together correct ? i had all three hooked together. yes it is a 72

Snag a copy of pics #11 and #12 from this album:

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/2662/

Those two pics are specifically for the 72-73 carbs.
The album is a temporary working album, and may disappear after awhile...

Back