Greetings and Salutations

YOURADHERE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im new from Louisiana. Been pretty interested in XS's for the last couple years and kinda off and on semi-serious about buying one. Looked around and found a couple but werent quite what I was looking for. I truely wanted to start with a stocker and build from there but came across a deal I couldnt pass up. Drove up to Texas and picked up a 72 XS650 hardtail. Top end is fresh, forks recently rebuilt, weld on hard tail, modded Sportster tank, aftermarket ignition. It has some shifting problems with going in/out of gear. Jumping in/out of 1st and neutral and the previous owner said at one time it went into 1st and 2nd at the same time, but no damage was done(or so I hope). Im ordering a manual and will be doing the repair. After it's up and running I plan on finishing it off to my liking...lowering the tank a little, ditching the sissy bar, powdercoated wheels, frame, tank and fenders, different forward controls and perhaps whitewalls and ape hangers. Here it is....Im pretty sure Ive got the only XS in town.

Any tips/things I should be aware of right off hand?

100_0428.jpg

100_0427.jpg

100_0500.jpg

100_0503.jpg

100e0421.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice, bare-bones scoot. I kinda like the bare-bones look myself. Interesting left-side pipe treatment.

Once you get a manual, read up on sections having to do with the shifting operation. I had a somewhat different problem with my '81 that was caused by a tiny spring being broken off the shift selector pawl (or whatever it's called) located inside the right case side cover. In my case, I'd miss shifts relatively consistently, usually 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th, but it didn't pop out of gear. Yours almost sound more like you might have a worn shift selector arm inside the tranny. In which case, you'll be looking at having to split the cases to get to it.

I'm sure that somebody with more experience than me regarding transmission operation will be along and can address your issue with more certainty than I can.

The previous owner had taken it to a shop and said they believed it to be a bent/worn shift drum. He also mentioned that the cases may not need to be split to do the repair. Im hoping he's correct but if not, no biggie.

Im still undecided if I like what the previous owner did with the left side pipe or if I hate it. The shape doesnt quite flow and Im not diggin how it passes right next to the air filters although the wrap should keep the heat low.

Oh and the front break is definately going back on.

Before I tore into the tranny I would check for broken springs as Cooltouch mentioned, and the adjustment of the shift shaft. This shaft runs from the shifter across the engine to turn the shift drum. There is an adjustment for this shaft. The repair manual shows how to adjust it.
To do anything to the tranny you need to remove the lower case half. The jugs and head can stay inplace on the upper case.
Pull the engine, both side covers, flip the engine upside down and pull the lower case.
You now have access to the tranny. The gearset will just lift out. The shift forks and shift drum are mounted to the upper case. The shift drum seldom gives trouble. The forks can get bent and worn. It's not hard to spot a badly worn shift fork.
Inspect the engagement dogs on the gears carefully. They should have just a bit of taper to pull the gears together while under load. If the taper is to worn it will push the gears apart.
If you are careful you can regrind the dogs with a Dremel tool. It don't take much of a taper. Compare the dogs on the gears that are acting up to the gears that act right, this will give you an idea of the taper.
You can find complete trannies or just the parts on ebay.
If any of the gears show to much wear I would get a complete gearset and just swap the whole thing. The same with the shift drum and forks.
Easier then swapping just a few parts.

I'll keep that in mind. Im used to dealing with mainly atv and dirt bike engines where the cases split vertically instead of horizontally, it'll be nice not to have to remove the top end for a change. Thanks for all the tips. I'll be moving the XS to a different shop of our's since we've got no room for it with all our other crap. Once the motor is out I think I'll just tear it down for some fresh paint.

Back