GS450 - What do ya'll know about them?

I know that the igniters go bad on these often. Make sure you get one that works. New they are $500. Sometimes you can find them on ebay for cheap.

I have a gs250t if you need parts. Some of them are interchangeable.

!LKJFDOIJOIJDLKJG $500 ignition????? Well I am just looking to flip it anyhow. So I'm hoping it is in working condition. I may just buy it for $200 and part it out.

Cool, I should be going to look at it tonight or tomorrow. I will probably pick it up for that price. The only downside is the no title. Thinking I can have my friend Phil title it for me. He does mechanic liens all the time.

Had the same problem with my 650. I just went to the DMV, managed to catch the right person on the right day, filled out a form, turned it in with pix and got a title in the mail a few weeks later.

your state might not be so cool... ;-)
E

Suzukis of this era have a problematic charging system. They have a permanent magnet alternator which shunts excess power to ground. As you might imagine, this can cause the components (reg/rec, stator windings) to become quite hot. There are a number of ways to remedy this, the ultimate one being to use a Compufire series regulator/rectifier, which completely changes the way that the excess power is dealt with. This is not a cheap option for a $200 bike, but it has been shown to drop oil temperature in a GS1100 motor by 30 degrees (the stator on that machine is internal and oil cooled). At least that's what Posplayer on the GS Resources website has measured on his own machine. Failing that, the stock reg/rec can be replaced with a Honda 5 wire job from a 450 Nighthawk (amongst others) that is far more robust than the original unit. This assumes that the alternator on the 450 is a three phase, I do not know for sure about that.

There are also many thousands of 80's Suzukis that have never had an issue. Cleanliness of the connectors and proper grounding of the reg/rec makes a huge difference.

Back