GS650E

Committed. Give her a deposit and get things sorted next week.............

Here's the thing..........Your gonna think i'm mad. The bike is in NZ....lol......Plan on spending a lot of the time over there in 12 months when i legally retire and get the pension. Can't b out of the country (AUS), longer than 6 weeks, (or i loose the pension), so i'll be doing 3 or 4 trips in a year so i can spend more time with the grand-kids. Got a couple of projects in the wind, as well as doing the Burt Munro Challenge, If not in 2021, b 2022, on the Suzuki with Kane, (my son), on the XS650...........Plans, made to be broken but at least i can look at pics of a GS650E.........:laugh::laugh:..........and say "that's mine"........:cool::cool:

Gave the thread link to the Lady i am buying the bike from. She said it made her have second thoughts after reading the good reviews from you guys, (she bought the bike in Canada when she was living over there for a while), for a second.......Wants first option to buy if i ever sell it......

Some more pics...........
Screenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(1).png Screenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(4).png Screenshot_2020-12-30 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(6).pngScreenshot_2020-12-30 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(7).png Screenshot_2020-12-30 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(3).png

Really looking forward to restoring it.........

Yea, it has been looked after. The PO rode it in Canada and down into the states. I think it had about 7000 on it when she bought it. It was the lack of k's but also was the condition that really interested me, even though it was in NZ. Hummed and harrd a bit while doing the research, (thanks again), not every day these opportunities pop up. Payed what it was worth but i could sell it tomorrow and not loose a cent.........Really looking forward to my next trip to NZ but the covid situation over here in NSW, (i think it is going to get away from them), has put the cobwash on the trans Tasman bubble..........

At lest i have pics i can drool over.........lol

With great difficulty
Decisions, decisions........what a problem to have.........

How is the seat attached??

Didn't notice the scalp on the rafters..........
If that was a serious question I used c clamps for clamping conduit to walls. I flattened the ends and bolted them through the seat (butcher) they are removable from the seat and clamp around the bike frame.

If that was a serious question I used c clamps for clamping conduit to walls. I flattened the ends and bolted them through the seat (butcher) they are removable from the seat and clamp around the bike frame.

Yea it was. Good idea...........made me think of something else that could be used........

BUY IT - that is one of the nicest all around UJMs every built and 13,000 km is nothing on those bad-boys.

As aid by others above, all of the two-valve GS bikes were extremely smooth, fast and reliable and with their well-built frames and good brakes, they handled markedly better than the similar offerings from the other Japanese manufacturers. Of them all, the GS650s were among the nicest in my view, with an ideal balance of power, size, weight and handling. The only one I would choose over that E-model would be the G-model shaft drive variant, but, with modern o-ring chains, the added maintenance isn't a big deal.

Besides all of that, the standard GS models (not the fruity looking L-model "pseudo-cruisers") had by far the best seats ever put on a motorcycle IMO. They were long, wide and nearly flat with an excellent mix of firm and softer foam to support your touche and distribute the weight hither and yon. The seats were truly a step above the typical offering by any other manufacturer and created a big sensation in the M/C press at the time.

I had a 1979 GS850G (it was actually more of a shaft driven variant of the GS1000 with a bit more power and better torque than the GS750 - but more weight). The GS850G handled like it was on rails and although a bit heavy, it had good torque and power and absolutely NEVER gave me any grief in more than 100,000 km. In fact, I never even had to replace the brake pads.
View attachment 181529
Let us know how it works out!

Pete

You 850 guys always seemed to be the most partisan GS owners. I never owned one, but they were reckoned by many to be the pinnacle of everything good about the line.

I had an 83 GS550E, a rebuilt black on black 1980 1000S with an 83 1100 motor, and a blue 83 1100E, oddly enough, also with an 83 1100 motor....

I should have kept that 1100 and left the Bandit at the auction.....oh well....

The more I look at Skull's 650, the more I reconsider my remark about the XJ. That is one good looking machine.

I'd be tempted to throw on a replica 1000S bikini fairing, but that's just a fetish of mine...

Back