GS650E

650Skull

Cockytoo
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Any one had one of these, and any and all input welcome.........Tempted..........Canadian bike imported, hence the low mileage/kilometerage
Screenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors.png

Screenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(1).png Screenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(2).pngScreenshot_2020-12-28 Suzuki GS 650E 1982 Trade Me Motors(3).png

Based on the low oil pressure, roller bearing crank GS550E motor. The chain drive model is a bit of a rarity. Seems counter intuitive but the much more common G shaftie got the more modern plain bearing bottom end. The shaft drive engine actually was the one that got used in the 650m Katana.

Contemporary of the 650 Seca. Probably not much in it in terms of performance difference. Seca was a better looking bike IMO, and I`m a hardcore Suzuki guy. Still, a rock solid machine. The GS motor is probably a bit stouter than the XJ, but there`s not much bad to say about either motor. That one is a beauty, I`d buy it in a heartbeat. The 650 is a rare(ish) and handsome machine. Throw a series regulator on it as a useful preventive measure as this model shared the typical GS permanent magnet charging system issues. Reg/rec would overheat dumping excess current to ground which would blow it up and cook the stators. SH775 Shindengen from a Polaris side by side or SeaDoo is the hot ticket. Otherwise the SH847 50A version from a late model V-Strom 1000 will do but is a bit overkill for the power output of the GS..

Any one had one of these, and any and all input welcome.........Tempted..........Canadian bike imported, hence the low mileage/kilometerage
View attachment 181480
View attachment 181478 View attachment 181479View attachment 181481

BUY IT - that is one of the nicest all around UJMs every built and 13,000 km is nothing on those bad-boys.

As said by others above, all of the two-valve GS bikes were extremely smooth, fast and reliable and with their well-built frames and good brakes, they handled markedly better than the similar offerings from the other Japanese manufacturers. Of them all, the GS650s were among the nicest in my view, with an ideal balance of power, size, weight and handling. The only one I would choose over that E-model would be the G-model shaft drive variant, but, with modern o-ring chains, the added maintenance isn't a big deal.

Besides all of that, the standard GS models (not the fruity looking L-model "pseudo-cruisers") had by far the best seats ever put on a motorcycle IMO. They were long, wide and nearly flat with an excellent mix of firm and softer foam to support your touche and distribute the weight hither and yon. The seats were truly a step above the typical offering by any other manufacturer and created a big sensation in the M/C press at the time.

I had a 1979 GS850G (it was actually more of a shaft driven variant of the GS1000 with a bit more power and better torque than the GS750 - but more weight). The GS850G handled like it was on rails and although a bit heavy, it had good torque and power and absolutely NEVER gave me any grief in more than 100,000 km. In fact, I never even had to replace the brake pads.
1979_GS850G_Hannigan_ST-Fairing.JPG

Let us know how it works out!

Pete

Last edited:
@Mailman. Thanks , as good as the XS2??

@MacMcMacmac , Thanks on the electrics, had heard about the Suzuki problems before so it is good to know for sure. I guess the visual is a personal, (XJ vs GS), choice and i see the Suzi as a nice colour but even in its blandish appearance it looks solid and comfortable. Good to know about the diferences between the engines.

@MaxPete , Thanks for spending my money.........lol...........Just don't see any of these if at all for sale. Especially such low mileage and that is due to the fact you guys, Canadians),only get to have one good riding day a year................seriously, I have been reading everything about these GS650's i can. It all corresponds with what you say. Apparently the GS650 is as fast and a better handling bike than the earlier GS750's. The 850;s and 1100 command good money and partly this would be as an appreciating ride-able bike. appreciating as in the running costs is all it should owe me if i ever sell it and maybe it could be worth some more.

apparently this is the go to web site/forum............yes/no ant others
https://www.thegsresources.com/modelinfo.php

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_gs650e 81.htm

I know i have to make up my mind real soon...........just the price over here isn't what you guys would call peanuts but it still ant bad for the low mileage and condition..........keep talking myself into it

In the US the chain drive 750 and 1000 sport oriented models's are achieving collector status, this is generally true of all "big four" 70's 80's bikes, shaft drive models, less than 750 and "special type" models not so much. So if you buy, do it to ride and enjoy not as a collectable.

In the US the chain drive 750 and 1000 sport oriented models's are achieving collector status, this is generally true of all "big four" 70's 80's bikes, shaft drive models, less than 750 and "special type" models not so much. So if you buy, do it to ride and enjoy not as a collectable.

That's pretty much the same over here. Not looking at it as appreciating, just as a resale not loose money type of thing.....Surprising some of money wanted for some of the bikes that are from the late 70's and 80's that are on the smaller CC scale.

This is for riding with enough power to do whats needed in traffic on the highway and around town use,without getting pushed into the Ticket zone and still economical on fuel.......

Been keeping an eye on a low k ST1100 that is around the corner, (literally), and the price is in the right range now, but its just to hard to keep it in the 60-70MPH range.......

That's pretty much the same over here. Not looking at it as appreciating, just as a resale not loose money type of thing.....Surprising some of money wanted for some of the bikes that are from the late 70's and 80's that are on the smaller CC scale.

This is for riding with enough power to do whats needed in traffic on the highway and around town use,without getting pushed into the Ticket zone and still economical on fuel.......

Been keeping an eye on a low k ST1100 ..... its just to hard to keep it in the 60-70MPH range.......
True that! I got rid of all my high powered bikes ( for now LOL) But found the only way to keep the over a liter bikes in shouting distance of legal was to stay out of high gear when cruising..

You still haven’t bought that bike? :laugh2: The Phoenix metro area where I live has almost 5 million people, combine that with the ability to ride year round and our used bike selection is huge. Those old GS’s only very occasionally pop up, and when they do, they get snapped up quick. I was going to post a link to a 70’s GS 750 that came up here a couple days ago but it’s already gone.

Sounds like it could use a carb balance to me, but nothing really seems out of sorts. When I set the valve lash and balanced the carbs on my GS1100E the idle was unbelievably smooth.
That's my thought also. Iirc, my GS1100 was a bit of a pain to adjust...was Bucket and shim if I'm remembering right.... but once set the motor was nice and quiet.

All good info though, thanks guys............there is a bit more to the story, it revolves around the registration and some other details like where it is. Need to clear up details around the rego as it could take the price out a bit further than i would like, happy with the price asked just...mmmm..........What is attractive is in 18months the rego drops to near nill due to the age of the bike.........

I know he who hesitates.........

Last edited:
On valve adjustments on the two-valve Suzuki GS bikes:

- at the correct mileage, my GS850G went in for the valve adjustments (I had no garage in which to work) and I think that 5/8 valves needed a new shim;
- at the next interval, the other three plus one of the five needed a new shim (so all of them had been adjusted once and one valve had two adjustments);
- at the next interval, two more needed a new shim;
- at the next - none needed any adjustment;

The dealer (who had sold an absolute bag-load of these bikes) said: "I wouldn't bother with it again unless you start hearing a noise. Otherwise, just keep the oil clean, change the plugs occasionally and ride it."

...and when it had well over 100,000 km on it, I sold it ( <sob>....)

Last edited:
With the low mileage and condition of the bike i have no qualms that it would last me, or maybe out last me, and the engine would still be good. Anyhpw off to work and be back in 3 or 4 hours and will make up my mind after i hear back from the owner, Emailed this morning, or if i haven't heard from her i will give her a ring and then make up my mind from the conversation........

Thanks all.........

Back