handlebar size

tenderloin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi! does anyone know the diameter(in millimeter) on the original handlebar, and how high you can have your handlebar with the original cabels? havent found a bike yet too chop, so i would like to know before i make the handlebar.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site!

The bars are 7/8" just like almost all the old Japanese bikes.. Not sure on the height you can go with original cables. It would probably depend on the design of the bars you want to create and which year of XS650 you end up getting.

Thanks for the help and the welcoming!
but now i know the diameter anyway, could allways buy extended cables from tc bros if it gets to high.

/robin

22mm is actually smaller than 7/8". 22mm bars are used on many European bikes like BMWs. 7/8" bars won't fit on them many times because the controls won't fit on the larger diameter bar. Sometimes they won't fit in the mounting clamps either. 22mm bars usually cost a lot more than 7/8" bars, too.

7/8" = 22.225mm

After barkcollar mentioned they were 22mm I went out into the garage and measured 4 different bars: 2 stock XS650, one stock gs1000, and an aftermarket set of drag bars, all chromed. None were less than 22mm or more than 22.225mm even with the chrome. They ranged from about 22.08 to 22.20. A difference of .12mm which is just under .005"

I think all the ones I measured are supposed to be 7/8". I wonder what actual 22mm bars would measure.

I had mini apes that had a 11" rise. the throtle worked, but the front brake line was too tight.

22mm is actually smaller than 7/8". 22mm bars are used on many European bikes like BMWs. 7/8" bars won't fit on them many times because the controls won't fit on the larger diameter bar. Sometimes they won't fit in the mounting clamps either. 22mm bars usually cost a lot more than 7/8" bars, too.
Actually 7/8" = 0.8750" = 22.2250mm, I measured my XS bars with digital calipers @ 22.3mm. If your trying to measure without a digital set of calipers you might see 22mm

Back