Headlamp direction adjuster

Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Gentlemen
Not sure I have all the correct clamping parts 1980 XS 650 SE
Has anyone a clever solution for the front headlamp .. Mine at times points at the Tree tops.
I would like to have an adjuster ..with a thread Bolt and Nut or so.
I rarely ride at nights but since the charging have worked better it happens more often now
I feel that the lamp moves .And I cant figure out how to . Keep it down --- In a simple manner.
If I out on the road push it on the upper edge I can get i pointing lower. For a while
It is a safety issue .Since sometimes the oncoming traffic turns on the High Beam in my face .
Glasses Scratched visor ..and who knows where the road is. For a while.
Please give info if anyone knows.

XS650SE makes it a 1978 model.... no matter in this case.
upload_2021-6-1_10-58-55.png

Item #27 and associated hardware should be mounted on the lower triple clamp. The opposite end bolts to the slot on the lower headlight shell and makes up the vertical adjustment. If this doesn't answer the question, I can provide photos later.

XS650SE makes it a 1978 model.... no matter in this case.
View attachment 192465
Item #27 and associated hardware should be mounted on the lower triple clamp. The opposite end bolts to the slot on the lower headlight shell and makes up the vertical adjustment. If this doesn't answer the question, I can provide photos later.

Thank you Sir
When it stops raining I shall take a closer look . But I have been under there .. perhaps some item is missing
Or is the wrong one.

Bent ears/bucket have an effect, also how the wires are routed out of the holes in the rear of the bucket. (watch for the grommets getting split or out of place) plenty have ended up with cut wires shorted to the bucket. I've done a bit of "rebending" on that bracket a time or two, good washers, nut, bolt, grommets all contribute to it staying put.
Ole MamaYama had reason for all that rubber mounting of the headlight.

Thank you Sir

I was out in the rain having a quick look
The horizontal bolt under the headlamp . I have such screw there not a dome nut.

Lamp.JPG

The bolt 28 is tightened
And it feels as it is bottoming out .As not uncommon when a rubber damper is involved.

But the lamp is not fixed .. If I grab it it moves and I can hear the rubber squeal it is not tight enough
Does your lamp sit tight.
I don't know right now if it is the right rubber 30 or spacer 31
I had made an assembling error I had the 31 on the other side ..Shifted it perhaps a little better but I can still move the lamp and hear the squeal.
Can it be the rubber to old ? Please feel free comment if ideas

Last edited:
Do you even have nights this time of year?

Not really .. I suppose no lights is needed ( Besides being a law )
until 11 pm ish
and around 4 a:m off again
I am not so far North . But no long nights .It is cold though Saturday I was out on a trip
About 80 miles
Getting home at 11 pm it was around 11 Celsius 51 F
Nature is Beautiful now,
Last year beginning of corona was strange fine weather long light nights with perfect weather
And no one out no Cruising or street life. Little more now but still strange.

I ran into a traffic accident .. On my way home Someone had lost control and hit the wire Railing ..center of the road.
Saturday night so there may have been drinking involved.
And I had to stop waiting for the police and so clearing up.
I bought a new helmet last year HJC and there is a looking mechanism that had accidentally kicked in for the visor
A knob I could not find there and then the visor must go up to take out the glasses before taking off the helmet.
And the mist condensation increased.
A lady at the road side rescued me ..
One kick back starting but that happens.
Being the beginning of the season not there yet.
This time i kicked it one time ignition off gave choke .But the engine was still warm And I got it on the ankle.

Machine just added the dome nut for some "bling". Usually there is just a normal nut (#33) and it's usually on the other end, tightened against the slot in the headlight bracket .....

PKlR6YY.jpg

You need a large diameter fender-type washer there for it to work. Make sure there are sleeves in your rubber grommets.

Machine just added the dome nut for some "bling". Usually there is just a normal nut (#33) and it's usually on the other end, tightened against the slot in the headlight bracket .....

PKlR6YY.jpg

You need a large diameter fender-type washer there for it to work. Make sure there are sleeves in your rubber grommets.

Thank you Sir
I have made a mistake ( simple ? ) here somewhere that I can see on the picture.
Something is wrong here.
I have the rubber grommet in the headlamp slot
Which on the pictures and looking at the parts picture is
wrong ---the grommet shall sit in the hole in the bracket pos 27 # 8
Also visible at Mr Machines Picture post # 4
It is night here now so tomorrow ill look into that if I have the right grommet.
And so.
Thinking out loud -- would it be totally wrong / impossible to remove the rubber and just bolt i together.
Then it wont move.
Perhaps the bulb cant take it .? more vibrations

Thank you gentlemen
That rearrangement .Moving the grommet made the difference .I think it sits there now .
No Squealing from any rubber. and it don't move.
Perhaps not the right screws washers and so but there is the grommet ( Vibrations ) and it sits there.
That would be something I would not have figured out. That quickly or at all
Plausible grommet placement and almost working. But not entirely.
I would most likely have removed those stock parts. .. hammered bending and drilled on a small flat bar by now without those pictures.
Thank you

Back