Headlight

Cody89

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have a 1980 xs 650 Special and I have no headlight the bulb is fine everything else works I took apart the ignition today all contacts and wires are fine. I checked all fuses under seat. I checked just about every connection in the headlight assembly for lose wires or connections everything looks good. I want to know if maybe the safety relay is the culprit I have electric start and that works but from what I read there is also a headlight relay on the same block that sends power to the headlight which is located under the right side cover. Please help!!!!!

There is a yellow wire that comes out of the alternator harness at the back of the engine (there's a bullet connector) it powers the safety relay, with the motor running it should have about 5 volts AC. Even a failed kick start attempt will give that wire enough juice to close the relay which then latches on keeping the headlight on til the key is turned off. Your no headlight, MIGHT be a sign of no charging from the alternator. Do a little checking, think of it as Yamaha's subtle something's wrong warning.

Back