Help Wiring Hugh's 3 Phase MOSFET Regulator

Tino1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi
I just purchased from Hugh's a 3 Phase MOSFET Regulator and am having trouble wiring it. The regulator I have on the bike has the following colored wires, 3 yellow, red, black, brown and green. The Hugh's one has 2 black, 2 red and 3 yellow wires. The Hugh's instructions say to combine the 2 red wires together and the 2 black together because the regulator is rated for 350w. So any idea on how to wire this or if I can even use it?
Thanks for your help
Tino

Yes I have a stock alternator with brushes. Guess I'll be returning this regulator

Yes, that will not work with a stock charging system.
What year is your bike?
You can buy new, good used ones or even build your own for under $20

The 77 had a sperate regulator and seperate rectifier. So 2 units. The '80 up had a combined unit, which looks like the Mosfet.

You can build one. Use the search for the buold thread. Pretty simple.

I'm in the process of installing a VR115 and cheap, yet effective 3ph rectifier to my 77. Check out Mailman's 60th Birthday thread for his recent install of the same on his 77. Very well done.

But, reading the OP, it seems your 77 has a non-stock reg/rect. OP claims the following wires on his regulator: 3@Y, R, B, Br, G.

As littlebill points out, the stock 77D has a separate regulator and rectifier. Those three Y wires and the red one scream rectifier to me. Br and G match the stock regulator. (Both units receive a ground on black.) If you have all those color coming from one device, it is not a stock pair of reg/rectifiers.

Pictures of the current setup?

I think the previous owner updated the charging system to the 80's one. The photos and wiring diagrams look the same as them. What I have is one unit not two separate ones

I recently purchased the bike and rewired it. When I went to start the bike back up it started smoking so I figured it was done. Now have to check my wiring possible crossed a wire

I installed a Motogadget m-unit. In doing so I cut some of the wires between the regulator and alternator, I think all but the yellow wires. I'm going to take a look tonight at the wiring to see if I missed something. I might have forgot to hookup the brown wire from the brush. I think everything else is good not to difficult.

From the regulator side, brown went to switched power, red to batterie 20 amp fuse, black connected to black from altinator and grounded to frame, 3 yellow wires connected to yellow wires on alternator. So I'm just not 100% that I hooked up the brown wire from the alternator side. Do you think this would cause a problem and burn up the regulator?

I think the previous owner updated the charging system to the 80's one. The photos and wiring diagrams look the same as them. What I have is one unit not two separate ones

I think..................Is not knowing............

If the previous owner updated the charging system to the 80's one he did nothing to it..............All XS650's from 70-84 have the same charging system.

The Factory Points ignition system, (1970-1979), with a separate Reg and Rect, was changed to the Factory Electronic ,(TCI), system in 1980 and on..............This ignition system used a combined Solid state Reg/Rect.

A solid state Regulator can be bought for the points ignition system. It still uses a separate Rectifier.

You need to do a through check and identification of your electrical components..................If your bike still has points ignition then you will need to have a seperate Regulator and separate Rectifier.

If the PO has changed the ignition sysytem to and 80 and later factory TCI then you will need a combined *Reg/Rect...............*There is an alternative cheap separate Reg and Rect that can be made up to replace a solid State Combined Reg/Rect.

Did it run before you decided to re-wire it?
I agree with Skull, you need to take inventory and identify your components. Previous owners have a way of fucking bikes up because they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and shouldn't even be around a lawnmower without supervision.
Some things you cannot mix and match on bikes.

So I was able to take a good look at the wiring last night. What i discovered was one of the brush had a black wire going to it, not knowing this I attached it to the black ground on the regulator then grounded it to the frame. This is the only wiring mistake I found. From looking at the wiring diagrams the earlier bikes that have a separate regulator rectifier had a black wire going to the brush and not a brown one in the later models.
The alternator looks to be the stock one and the regulator/rectifier was changed to the combined one seen in the 80s bikes. The brushes do not have nylon screws. The bike ran before very poorly. I upgraded the ignition to the PMA system. Runs great now besides the regulator problem.

You mention the stock alternator and a PMA ignition. The PMA is an alternator, permanent magnet alternator. I think there's still component confirmation to be done.

Posting pics of your electricals would help us help you!

Last edited:
Back