Help With Front RD400 Wheel Swap

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So as the title states I’m looking for a little advice off you knowledgable folks out there.

I’m aiming to fit an RD front wheel into 5EB R6 forks.

I’ve spoken to forum member Leslie quite a great deal about this as he’s done the same swap, he’s been a great help and was able to send me AutoCAD drawings for custom Brake Rotor Spacers.

So herein lies my question, I’ll be using the R6 axle so in regards to axle spacers, do I just need to source the original RD axle spacer configuration and have these re-made to take the larger 22mm R6 axle, fit the wheel and have extra spacers made to make up for the wider forks?

I’ve downloaded an RD400 service/parts manual and after looking at the spacer configuration, the immediate problem I could foresee was the speedometer housing unit, so after talking to Leslie again he confirmed me suspicion that this wasn’t used so I planned on using something very similar to what Hugh’s Handbuilt offer, here I have another small question, how similar are the XS & RD hubs? So would a speedometer delete spacer designed for an XS hub fit an RD hub?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you in advance for anyone that takes the time to read and respond to it.

Daniel.

Attachments

• 6552ACE6-4012-4E4A-A41B-1759232C3F36.jpeg
    6552ACE6-4012-4E4A-A41B-1759232C3F36.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 119
Back