Help with Mikes xs reg/rec and simple wiring harness!

John said he set it up like my schematic and it worked. I am obviously confused. Also do you mean to put a fuse between the battery and ignition switch?.

You should put a 20A fuse right after the battery, before anything else at all (with the setup you have). If John was successful, then check your wiring against your schematic until you find the problem.

Sorry I was gone for a while-busy night putting the bike back together after gluing in the clutch seal.Happy to say its fixed.

I ran my bike for a while last night.Made it around the block a few times.I didn't check my charging system yet but didnt see or smell any burnt wires.My battery is new and fully charged so the bike system probably does not have to work too hard.

I used an automotive style ignition switch and have the main power feed from the battery running through a 25 amp circuit breaker.The bike has minimal wiring, just enough for the lights and ignition system.

dean martin--I cannot offer too much advise on your problem except using an ohm meter to check for shorts and short-to-ground issues.

Good luck and keep us posted

John

Where di dyou hook your blue wire from the alternator too? I have a blue capped and a blue grounded.

Think I got it! The black from the alternator gets grounded not connected to the ignition switch. Still not sure about the 2 blues of the alternator.

I have one black and one blue wire from the alternator/engine harness.Black I think went to ground and the blue wire is the neutral switch circuit.

The blue wire on the r/r I wired directly to the positive 12v feed from the ignition switch.It gets pos 12v when the key is on.

John

Yes

The blue wire goes to the top of the gear case under a little rubber boot.It grounds the circuit.My bike has a pos 12v feed going through the indicator bulb in the speedo and the ground side goes down the back bone wiring to pick up the blue wire.

John

Back