Help with Mikes xs reg/rec and simple wiring harness!

Here is the latest schematic. If anyone can give a final yea it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• PaulsWiringDiagram.fuses8.jpg
    PaulsWiringDiagram.fuses8.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 99
That should work. At least the brake and tail light and ignition part. As I said I'm not familiar with Mike's reg/rec. I think it should work that way.
I have thought about getting one to see just how it works, but the price is too high just to experiment with.

I too purchased Mikes solid state reg/rec unit hoping to clean up the wiring harness on my bobber project.

I searched the web for the proper wiring instructions as the one that came from Mikes doesnt help when making your own harness.

Can anyone tell me where the red/green/orange and blue wires go ???

John

Hey John, best everyone came up with is in the last schematic I configured. If you find out anything further let us know. Will be putting this to the test this week and will update everyone. thanks again!

We think that the red is positive to the battery, green is ground, the orange to the positive brush and the blue to a positive after the switch. I have seen this talked about somewhere. The blue may go the the negative brush? With the negative brush floating, not grounded.
Calgary, can you post those instructions so we can have a look at them? Maybe we can decipher just how it should wire up.
Also which reg/rec you have. He sells two. One for the 70-79's and one for the 80 and up.

Last edited:
From what I have gathered from other sites the blue off the stator is the neutral light. That is the last wire available.

Mikes directions for 70-79 reg/rec #24-2089

Rectifier side (6 space connector)
3 yellow to 3 white
1 red to 1 red
1 green to 1 black

reg side (3 space connector)
orange to green
blue to brown
*add 2nd ground from base to bat(-)

Also, do I need to ground my ignition? I also seem to have alot of wires to the ignition. Is this common?

Thanks for your info.

Pauls wiring diagram is exactly what I needed.

I have used a similar ssvrr on three honda choppers I built-but they came with instructions any normal guy can understand.

Now I am looking forward to spending the day wiring up my bike this weekend.

John

Posted via Mobile

For Mike's instructions to make sense to you, all you probably have to do is look at a schematic of a stock bike and use the color codes in the stock wiring to tell you what Mike's talking about and where the wires go in your own circuit - about a ten minute task.

Wish you were in my area. Could use your 10 minutes! This is what makes the build worthwhile. Will be wiring this weekend also. Let's update if anyone gets it going.

I do realize schematics are a little like a foreign language to a first-timer, so maybe I underestimated the challenge to a first-timer.

It can get overwhelming but very satisfying when I look at what is accomplished and what I have learned from many people. I do not just want to make a wiring harness but learn how it works so I can apply it on the next build. Thanks to you and xsleo for setting me on the right path.

There are these concepts of "and", "or" and "invert" that will allow you to do about anything along these lines. If you get satisfaction from figuring out problem like this, you would like this book, although the circuits in it don't have much direct application in wiring motorcycles. It's a good introduction to electronic circuits, given the way things are today I think.

http://www.amazon.com/TTL-Cookbook-Donald-Lancaster/dp/0672210355

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Will pick this up. Winter is approaching and will have the inclination to focus.

Hey guys,hope this helps;#24-2089 , the 3 yellows go to the 3 whites on your stator,red to + battery,green to ground or negative on battery,orange to the brush (field coil),blue to a switched power supply.

Thanks for the info. This is the info I have found on other sites also but great to have it confirmed. Do not want to fry the unit first time out! Have you used this set up yourself?

Hi Dean,yes,i have had that r/r on my bike "The Green Hornet" for about 7 years without a problem.I also placed fuses in between all "hot" wires running to lights,ignition and the charging system.Good luck with your project.

Have you looked at my schematic? Wondering if you have any feedback on the remainder of the wiring. Everyone has been great looking it over and another set of eyes would be great. It seems to me I have alot of wiring to positive battery terminal. Do I need more than the 1? Also wondering if I need to ground the ignition?

Dean,i think for the most part your schematic looks good.I don't see a need for the additional blue + wire.I would install a terminal block and run all of my needed power off of that,except for the r/r.I ran one central ground to a nutsert welded on the lower part of my seat post(frame).I also used a 3-way on-off-on toggle switch mounted directly onto the headlight shell,this helps simplify the wiring a bit.I use 3 on-off toggle switches for taillight/tag(this wire also runs up to the headlight switch),one to my coil,and one to the R/R.After i start (kick only) it up,i then switch on my charging system and then the lights.I am running a small scooter battery,so at red lights i simply reach up and turn off my headlight so most of the battery juice is going to the coil.Everyone has their own preference,but this is simple(like me) and works well.Good luck!

Glad to hear another positive on the schematic. Should have wiring finishes wither fri or sat. Will let everyone know if it is a go. Wish me luck.

Back