How do i know what headlight wattage i can use?

Jawknee21

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i've been looking at different bulbs and a lot are 100/55w or 100/90w. Can my bike handle that? normal is 60/55w. I just want a whiter brighter bulb. i dont care if its too bright. i run high beam all the time anyway...

Stock bulbs were 40W/50W I believe, 90 or 100 would really be pushing it I think. A HID light might be the answer if your wallet can handle it. Lot's of light and only 35W, but you have to find places for the stuff that goes with it.

My headlight bucket is pretty tight anyway. So stay with 60/55? I have led rear signals and a different taillight. No front signals...

Posted via Mobile

James,
I see that kit is hi or lo beam only. Which one did you get and what color did you buy. How does it complare to a standard H4 bulb? You get 2 bulbs and two ballasts with the kit for $35? A spare...nice!!

I got the H3 in yellow, which only is one setting(low beam), but it is bright as fuck. There is no filament to burn out, so it is pretty reliable. If you het the h4 dual kit, you will have hi and low beams.

Well if you turn on the headlight and the engine stalls, you went too big.
Anything light that draws much more than stock can find any weak spots in the lighting circuit, as in connectors, switches, grounds. It will also test your charging system.
Make sure everythings up to the load. Swapping everything else to LED's will help.
Leo

A friend had a Honda CT90 (little step through thing) and he decided the horn wasn't loud enough. So he got a car horn and mounted it, called me and said the bike was doing something weird. The engine ran fine until you hit the horn button, then the engine would die. 12V horn on a 6V bike. :D

HID kits on ebay are inexpensive and work well. I have this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Slim...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

James, I'd really appreciate it if you could take some measurements of that bulb or, even better, just post up a pic of it next to a ruler. I have an old headlight I'm going to be grafting onto my 650, I'd love to get something like this inside it. Just not sure if it will fit. I only ask b/c you ordered two and probably have the second lying around.

Thanks!
Adam

they are longer than normal bulbs
1310952654.jpg

Thanks! That's smaller than I expected from the eBay pics. I have one more question if you don't mind... the cable that runs to the ballast, it looks like a ribbon cable in the eBay pics, which I wouldn't be able to really splice into to elongate to mount it out of site. Is this the case? Or is it normal wiring that would be easy to hack into?

Thanks,
Adam

All of the wires are normal wires, I mounted the ballast box under my seat and spliced the wires longer to reach the headlight. the factory connectors are water tight, and actually pretty solid, but they were too bulky for me and I just cut them out and soldered then shrink wrapped the splices.

All of the wires are normal wires, I mounted the ballast box under my seat and spliced the wires longer to reach the headlight. the factory connectors are water tight, and actually pretty solid, but they were too bulky for me and I just cut them out and soldered then shrink wrapped the splices.

Awesome, best response ever, that's exactly what I want to do. Thanks for your replies.

- Adam

Back