How to pop open late model gas cap

Kickflippin

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up an '80 model without keys. Getting around it has been easy enough with the ignition, I just swapped for one I had keys for.

The tank, however I can't get to pop open. On my '76 (the cap is off to the right, it was easy enough to slip a thin screwdriver in while pushing down to release the latch.
This later style (cap in center of tank) is much tighter and I can't seem to get it to release. I've tried screwdrivers, welding rod, wire, plastic panel tools, etc.

Can anyone tell me if the latch system on these later tanks is different, or does anyone have a method for popping open? Hoping to not drill out the cylinder and there are no numbers to have a locksmith make a key. Thanks.

I use one of these small pry bars .....

BVTP8gn.jpg

The "flat" end has a gentle curve to it and that allows you to bypass the lock and push the latch open directly .....

JJ9s2CK.jpg

InBk2se.jpg

NtoCI4b.jpg

It helps to push down on the cap a little to relieve some of the spring pressure on the latch.

5Twins way is good but on my 1981 I had good luck just pushing in on the end of that flat piece where the yellow arrow points.
cap.jpg

If your small screw driver is too thick tr something like a feeler gauge or other thin metal tool.

If you do get it open I would remove those screws holding the latch in and see if you can modify the latch to work with your key. Might have to file or grind things down so any key will work. Just remember if 5Twins and I know how to open the cap without a key there are hundreds if not millions out there that know the trick! So that lock thing is just to make the lazy people leave it alone!

I use one of these small pry bars .....

BVTP8gn.jpg

The "flat" end has a gentle curve to it and that allows you to bypass the lock and push the latch open directly .....

JJ9s2CK.jpg

InBk2se.jpg

NtoCI4b.jpg

It helps to push down on the cap a little to relieve some of the spring pressure on the latch.

Have a spare later 79 tank cap key lock being extra stubborn.Used some of the old ways learned through the years and it just wasn’t cooperating.Looking through the old threads,noticed 5twins small bar tip post.Easily opened.Great tip!

Attachments

• D3858AFC-5CE7-40E0-978C-D29A0983C0A1.jpeg
    D3858AFC-5CE7-40E0-978C-D29A0983C0A1.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1210D13F-EF89-44BD-82D3-C91204FED8CF.jpeg
    1210D13F-EF89-44BD-82D3-C91204FED8CF.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 29
Back