How to test Shock Absorbers and where to get mounting rubbers.

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
If possible I want to keep my original shocks on my 77D, because they are the original look and I wont be using the bike for any competition type riding.
If I remove the spring, what test do I do to know they are seviceable (hydraulically speaking) before I spend money on chroming and a bit on painting the body.
They arent leaking any fluid.
The bike has only done 6000 Klms but the whole bike is badly weathered including corrosion on all the chrome parts of the shocks.
What mounting rubbers to buy ? I have researched Mikes and they only sell a "universal, pick a bit that fits" kit. I dont know if it will contain a bit that fits.
Sumo Rubber dont have anything. 650Direct have the same kit as mikes.
Hope you guys can help me.
Kind Regards Ray.

An affordable option on replacement might be a set from a Triumph T100. They look like stockers and work reasonably well for casual riding. 8EB2756E-D620-477B-BEC2-89A26F659615.jpeg

There are piles of used KYB OE shocks available. Many have good bushings.

Once you disassemble the shock, you’ll know if it’s any good. Pitting on the piston is no go. Otherwise, you should feel resistance when you work it.

Thanks jet and willis - should I have resistance both ways (compressing and rebound) with spring removed.
I have removed the spring on one of the shocks and there is no resistance in the downward (compressing) direction but some on the upward motion.
So you reckon I would have to buy a secondhand set to get rubbers ?

Yes, you would want to feel resistance in both directions. While pushing the rod in, that would be compression damping, and it appears you have none, lol. While pulling out, that would be rebound damping.

Yes, you would want to feel resistance in both directions. While pushing the rod in, that would be compression damping, and it appears you have none, lol. While pulling out, that would be rebound damping.
Are you sure? My Eleven Special has both. I thought the 650 only works the rebound. I’m not willing to swear to it.

I thought all shocks damped in both directions?

I removed the spring from both shocks - I have no resistance on compression, but plenty on rebound.
I have another set (unknown which XS650 they came from) - they look a lot older and beat up - same thing - no resistance on compression and a bit on rebound (not as much as first set).
So maybe thats correct ? I hope so because I want the original look.
Still stumped on rubbers.
Regards Ray.

For what it's worth, I have an assortment of Mikes rubber bushings and they fit in my shocks well. You can press out the metal sleeve from your originals and re-use. I had to get a little creative on my Triumph shock, but nothing very complicated.

Back