Oprahands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. I was just wondering if the hughs handbuilt pma and electronic ignition would be a good choice compared to the vape ignition and pma kit. What are your thoughts? Also cutting and re welding the camshaft or grinding and rewelding them up. Opinions? Also, no offence to Hugh. Im just wanting to see other ideas.

I think the Vape would be the better alternative since you have the ignition already to go. Don't have to worry about an addition system. I plan on putting a vape on my 650 at some point. I just installed one on the RD350 and they are a very nice product.

I`ve got the Hugh`s CDI on my No Theme build and it puts out a really good spark. On my current What Ever This Is build I`m going to use the Vape from Hoos Racing. Installation looks easier and I know I can get any tech support I might need with just a phone call to Gary. Check the battery compatibility for both systems if your using one.

Sounds like you are talking about rephasing a cam. I have always used built up and reground cams for rephased motors. I bought a rephased bike with a cut and weld cam and it was done so badly that it was not true and the seals on the end leaked terribly. On Youtube Alan Millyard has a clip on how he made the Kawasaki 6 cam by the cut and weld method.

With regard to ignitions as far a I know Vape have the only off the shelf CDI and alternator system for a rephased XS 650.
Vape igntions are good but you may need to do a power budget as the alternator output is ok but not huge.

Back