I guess I've joined your club now...

Turn signals for the rear bolted onto a small chrome bracket that was help in place by the rear guard bolts.

That Gauge set is from a 77D/78E and the rev counter has had some water sitting in there. If those gauges on the bike work just use them, The wiring may be slightly different but if your lucky some of the connectors may clip straight in.

A link to removing the bezel and cleaning the glass and rings.

Thanks for the info. I guess since neither is the stock set, it doesn't matter a whole lot which one I use. Both will require some disassembly and repair. The one that's on the bike works with the ignition key they guy gave me, so I think I'll start with that one.

Oh, and my friend tells me that turn signals are not legally required in Colorado, so it's optional whether I bother to put those back on.

OK, now I'm getting stir crazy. Just got the bike onto my back patio and was all psyched up to change the oil and stuff when we got hit by a giant blizzard. Guess I should have cleaned out the garage and used that instead.

Colorado and Washington state don't require blinks unless equipped with them new from 72 back. 502 coincidence? Maybe.

Say, here's a question for the assembled wisdom. My cycle does not have a center stand, though I can see mounting holes where one must have been. I'm not particularly sussed with it, but can anybody think of a vital reason I need one? They can be helpful when trying to park on dirt or soft asphalt, where a side stand sinks in, but I can always stick a board or a rock under the side stand, so that doesn't seem like such a big deal. Any other issues?

I don't have one anymore but they come in pretty handy for removing rear tire, making chain adjustments, rear brake adjustments etc...

Say, here's a question for the assembled wisdom. My cycle does not have a center stand, though I can see mounting holes where one must have been. I'm not particularly sussed with it, but can anybody think of a vital reason I need one? They can be helpful when trying to park on dirt or soft asphalt, where a side stand sinks in, but I can always stick a board or a rock under the side stand, so that doesn't seem like such a big deal. Any other issues?

Hi Michael,
the big deal is trying to get either wheel off the ground without one.
As is necessary when oiling or tensioning the rear chain or changing tires or brake pads.
Sure there's make-arounds but ponying up for a good used centerstand is a better way.
OK, a bargain store bike lift will work as well or better than a centerstand but when the lift is snug in your garage and you are in need of it a half-day's ride away, the Centerstand always being with you trumps the bike lift's advantage.

Hi Michael,
the big deal is trying to get either wheel off the ground without one.
As is necessary when oiling or tensioning the rear chain or changing tires or brake pads.
Sure there's make-arounds but ponying up for a good used centerstand is a better way.
OK, a bargain store bike lift will work as well or better than a centerstand but when the lift is snug in your garage and you are in need of it a half-day's ride away, the Centerstand always being with you trumps the bike lift's advantage.
Good points all 'round.

Regarding center stand; any hints on a good place to find one? I just started trying to figure out how to change the oil and realized you guys are right, it would be handy to have one. I've looked in the Classifieds, and didn't see one. Should I post a WANTED, or look for one some place else?

Also, now that I've actually started work on the thing, I was considering starting a new thread, just for this project. Waddya think? Should I just keep asking questions on this one or start fresh? This one was more of an intro. I could start a new one in Build, though this is more of a "just get it running" than a Build. Any ideas.

A "Wanted" ad here in the classifieds would work. Most who chop or bob theirs don't use the centerstand in their build. eBay is also a possibility. You'll want/need a '74 or later one. The frames and stand were a little different on the older ones and that early stand won't fit on yours. Later is better. The tangs have a nasty habit of breaking off but Yamaha addressed the issue on the last few models by bracing them. If you buy one, try to get the spring and bolts with it, they're special, or rather unique to a 650 stand.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...terstand.TRS0&_nkw=xs650+centerstand&_sacat=0

Welcome MPT,

As to serial #...the neck of the bike will have it (stamped and then on a sticker)...and on the engine, right up front below the exhaust ports... this is helpful: http://www.mikesxs.net/XS_Model_ID_Chart.pdf

Good luck!

Try as I might, I just can't seem to find a serial number on the engine.
EngineCover.jpg

This is a few of the right front cover of the engine, just below the exhaust, where I'm told the number should be. It's not a really big deal, but I was curious to see if it matches the frame number. The PO says this is the engine that came with it, for what that's worth.

You're not looking in quite the right spot. The number is just below the front engine mount and pretty much blocked from view by the front mounting bracket. Look down inside the bracket and you should see it.

Regarding center stand; any hints on a good place to find one? I just started trying to figure out how to change the oil and realized you guys are right, it would be handy to have one. I've looked in the Classifieds, and didn't see one. Should I post a WANTED, or look for one some place else?

Also, now that I've actually started work on the thing, I was considering starting a new thread, just for this project. Waddya think? Should I just keep asking questions on this one or start fresh? This one was more of an intro. I could start a new one in Build, though this is more of a "just get it running" than a Build. Any ideas.

Hi Michael,
I have a centerstand off an '83 Heritage Special. You can have it if you like. I've got the bolts and spring as well. Just pay shipping from NJ and they are all yours.:thumbsup:

Here you go - on the upper crankcase half, running vertically near the right side of the front motor mount. Like I said, the motor mount bracket pretty much blocks it from view .....

SerialNumber.jpg

Back