i need 1st over piston rings!

HooliganCycles

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
anyone know anywhere to get new ones for an 81xs650 for a decent price...mikes is 30 or 40 bucks and yamaha is like 80 a set...is mikes the cheapest? i need them asap but dont have a lot of money right now....help!!

Cruise ebay. One set $30.05 but they say they fit 70-76. Thats wrong they changed the rings in mid 74. So one set can't fit all those years. He only has one set.
Couple others at $36.99 and $39.99. Some are Yamaha brand Others are the RIK that Mike's sells. He probably got them from Mike's.

Last edited:
I havn't seen new oversize rings for less then Mikes. I did buy some of the Honda Civic rings sets to see what they were about, Hastings. Less then half the price but they have an odd ring in the set. It has a nothched land with less surface against the cylinder wall? Not sure if you can find them in oversize though?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the 1st oversize in those Honda rings is .50mm which equates to the 2nd oversize from Yamaha. First oversize from Yamaha is .25mm. I managed to find 2 sets of 1st OS RIKs on eBay for about $30, guess I got lucky. I think the RIK is the stock Yamaha ring. Yes, I think Mike's has the best prices.

ya looks like 30 bucks a set is the cheapest im getting, i was really hoping they would have them in parts unlimited or tucker rocky so i could just order them thru my work but no such luck, but the machinist at my work used to work for factory yamaha designing motors and owned about 15 xs650's so he gave me a set of 1st over NOS pistons and bored and honed my cylinders for free so i guess i cant really whine to much over $60 rings

your right, i owe him a hell of a lot more than that, but he will never accept anything for doing machine work for anyone that works at the bike shop...the only time i got him to take anything for it was after he bored cylinders for the parilla my dad and i are restoring, and all he would take then was a bottle of Jameson....he says it is his way of giving back to the motorcycle community

A ride might be harder for him to turn down. Say it's your way of giving back to him, to see him get the grin.

Last edited:
Back