I took choke plunger rod out. How do I put it back in.. ?

OLD ROOKIE

Go Slow and Wave at Your Neighbors.
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I took my 10981 BS-34 carbs apart for a cleaning. I took the choke plunger rod off. Then I took a long 14mm socket and took plungers out and cleaned the cavities.
When i put it back together. the rod doesn't hold the plungers open. What did I do wrong ?

Attachments

• plunger.jpg
    plunger.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 42
If it's a cable choke, the cable/lever controls choke rod position. If it's rod/knob operated, there's little springs and balls in the carb body that catch on the detents in the rod and hold choke position

there's little springs and balls in the carb body that catch on the detents in the rod and hold choke position
With a good tailwind at the launch site, those springs and balls have a formidable range. At least 3 counties in my estimation.... :wink2:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Been there done that. :whistle:
The good news is a common grease zerk has a ball and spring in it that will fit. Better yet if you find the zerks that will unscrew.

Looking at your pic, yours is the set with the ball and springs.

Last edited:
LOL....the balls are 1/8" if ya need them (yeah I've had them exit the building and had to replace them)

Shoutout to @robinc (rest his soul) for the zerk tip.
The ball and spring in this zerk are a tad on the small side. You might have to open up several different ones to find the right match. The spring will need to be cut to fit.
As JP says, an 1/8" ball... and that can be had from your local hardware store... springs too for that matter.

Installing those springs and balls on the other hand.... well, brace yourself. :banghead:

1681666202481.png

1681666224653.png

1681666280056.png

thanks. So when I took it a part I lost a spring and ball bearing ? I can't find a parts diagram with enough detail to see what they look like.
Could I convert to a cable or buy a new part ? This could keep me off the road for a while. Any help appreciated.
Does it have to do with the plunger or the rod ?

ball & spring in each carb - bit unlucky to lose the springs too. Are both those holes, as pictured above, bare?

Could I convert to a cable or buy a new part ? This could keep me off the road for a while. Any help appreciated.
Does it have to do with the plunger or the rod ?
IMO you don't want to convert to cable. The plungers are ok, it's the balls/springs acting on the rod detents that hold choke position. The detents have to be aligned with the balls

Installing those springs and balls on the other hand.... well, brace yourself.

If i recall right I had beginners Luck .. The rod has a conical end on mine .So pushing down the ball and spring with a drift or wooden stick and then gently force the conical end forward did it for me . Working in a tub should something fly away .But it worked first time for me . If I remember correct.

IMO you don't want to convert to cable. The plungers are ok, it's the balls/springs acting on the rod detents that hold choke position. The detents have to be aligned with the balls
Full disclosure... I converted my '80SG to cable choke a few yrs ago. I love it!!
The down side is parts are unobtanium. Took about 6 months and 30-50 bucks to do it. So no... not a cheap, or short term fix.

The little ball bearings on the choke shaft are 1/8" Your local bicycle shop will give you one or two. They are so easy to lose because they are usually stuck then when they come loose as you shake the carb BOING! off they go.
You have a suitable spring, grab a zerk fitting, drill the end where the ball sticks out a bit, the ball and spring then come out. Grease the spring when installing in your carb body.

Back