I'm having issues.

InkedHippie

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok, ppl smarter than myself, I have a 1974 TX650A (at least that's what I was told when I bought it). It was running weird at mid to higher sustained rpm (55-65mph). Kinda sluggish and chugging feel. I took the carbs off and cleaned them and put them back on. I also changed the exhaust gaskets that had gone bad. Now it seems to have little power on takeoff but kicks in with all the power about 3500rpm (no tach just guessing). And it seems to be running really hot, it's melting header wrap. Any ideas. And is there anyone that lives close to the Dalton/Chatsworth GA area?
IMG_20230730_203907873.jpg

Basic stuff here and others more experienced will give feedback. If it were mine, I'd do the following: Check valve lash. If too tight on exhaust it'll run hot as the valves are not fully seating. Other cause would be too lean jetting on carbs. I don't see any intake filters on your carbs....could also create lean condition. Check timing and make sure not overly advanced if running points. What do your plugs look like? Probably all white?

No intake filters on the carbs. Open straight through pipes without any baffles. Are the fuel pipes filtered to stop crap from the tank reaching the carbs?
My guess is the carbs are way off on the jetting.

But before you pull thee carbs; check all the ignition system is spot on and timing correctly (Use a strobe gun preferably). Plug gaps; sound plug cables and caps. Then check valve clearances and the timing chain tension. If all is in order and it still runs sh:poo:t, pull the carbs.

Check what jets you are currently running then tell the carb guru here @5twins
It will be trial and error regarding jets with your non-standard set up.

You'll also need to I.D. the year of the carb set because re-jetting is based on what was stock in that year set, not the year of the bike or the year of the motor. Yamaha used 4 different sets of BS38s on the 650 over the years, and all were jetted a little differently .....

Carb Specs Reduced Size.jpg

We can help identify the carbs if you give us some better close-up pics. We'll want to see left and right sides, and into the bell mouth.

Back