81 XS650 running but have issues

Ok so referring to Jan_P request, since i don’t have battery and have that capacitor instead, do i just unhook the capacitor and hook those wires to a battery? Or can i just leave it all hooked up and jump wires from the capacitor to a battery?
Oooops missed that part with the capacitor -- someone else perhaps will chiime in but what I have read here I believe a temporary battery is used
Please check and see if someone knows how .
Fell off the ladder picking cherries so I am a bit out of " Sync " It was not high up and landed on the lawn. Makes one think what happens on a Motorcycle.

So used a battery and unhooked the capacitor and it started right up and ran strong. So now what do i do?

Find a small battery and throw the cap in the garbage is what I'd do.

I run a very small AGM(3.3x1.25x1.75)on my Bobber. kick only and stock ignition. Fires right up.

Took the 4 cell lithium out of my Honda and stuck it right under the seat. Hides perfect and starts right up! Going on a ride tonight let’s hope for the best!

Attachments

• 84F9CD47-ED88-4E04-9D32-533D7B06FB67.jpeg
    84F9CD47-ED88-4E04-9D32-533D7B06FB67.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 881859ED-50C0-413C-BE65-2066F9B85F65.jpeg
    881859ED-50C0-413C-BE65-2066F9B85F65.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 88
Hope this cures the "when hot" issues! I assume one of those red wires to battery is charging feed from regulator.

BTW, those wire terminals can be problematic over time. Consider soldering terminals at some point: better reliability.

A suggestion.... make sure that battery is fully charged before your test ride.
Your PMA could easily exceed that 4amp max warning if the battery were low.
I'm not that familiar with LI batteries, so I'm not sure how serious that warning should be taken.
Best to figure they mean it.

Untitled.png

Hope this cures the "when hot" issues! I assume one of those red wires to battery is charging feed from regulator.

BTW, those wire terminals can be problematic over time. Consider soldering terminals at some point: better reliability.
Thanks! Yeah they are actually soldered too but just look crappy

I'm not that familiar with LI batteries, so I'm not sure how serious that warning should be taken.

I checked it and it says it’s at 13.7 right now. And when i run it it drops to about 13.4

I thought the battery would have read like 11 or 12 maybe, maybe i wasn’t using the tool right?

View attachment 218348

Super! Congrats.....

Now you need to heed Jim's warning and research the proper battery and regulator combination to prevent potential serious problems. I saw where Mike's warns against Li batteries with the XS Charge system (don't know if that includes LiPo).

I noticed the vacuum cap on your manifold is missing the retaining clip. Get a backfire through the carbs and it'll blow right off, never to be seen again, lol .....

VacNippleCap.jpg

Ok so I’ve been searching through a lot of forums talking about lithium battery use with PMA like mine. Kinda conflicting on this as some think it’s fine, some says it’s not what the book says, some have it like mine never having any issues, so really not 100% sure if I’m good or not….

After my ride last night i did check the battery again and it was at 14.5 so i guess it was being charged from the ride. A guy i was hanging out with last night i know who works on old bikes here was saying the lithiums hold a higher amount and he thinks I’ll be ok.

So not sure how to tell if i am going to be ok or not, should i just keep riding it and is there something to check occasionally?

Tja ..eeehhh there is now the possibility once the Fault is identified to go for a replacement Capacitor
Cant imagine it Costs more than $ 10 $ 15 see if that works out .One can even test those ( the old one )
but the assumed price for a new one can be an option and have one around or on the bike even .. saving you from a rainy night
with the alligators you are famous for. Should the battery loose it

What is the charge rate the xscharge does?

View attachment 218348

Looks like total output 200W, they don't say what amount of that goes to ignition or charging and they (Mike's) don't say what the output of the regulator is. I'm guessing 14.5 - 15V. Some suppliers state on their special Li regulators that the output is capped @ 14V. They don't typically spec. amps, while the battery makers state specs in amps.

I'd recommend starting a new thread, specifically on regulators and Li batteries, to attract the forum's electronic gurus.

New thread started for the battery questions..

Looks like total output 200W, they don't say what amount of that goes to ignition or charging and they (Mike's) don't say what the output of the regulator is. I'm guessing 14.5 - 15V. Some suppliers state on their special Li regulators that the output is capped @ 14V. They don't typically spec. amps, while the battery makers state specs in amps.

I'd recommend starting a new thread, specifically on regulators and Li batteries, to attract the forum's electronic gurus.

Back