inner tube quagmire

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I have to buy inner tubes I fall down this rabbit hole of materials and thicknesses. Butyl is supposed to hold air better than natural rubber. 3mm thick tubes get too hot, and are intended for off-road use. I think 1mm is for track racing.
What is the correct tube thickness for our bikes? I think it's 1.6 mm ? maybe 2mm ? A lot of on-line listings don't even state material or thickness.
Can someone just point me to a good, correct, reasonably priced shipped front and rear tube for stock sized tires?
Thanks in advance.

I measured several old, cut-up "normal" tubes, they seem to range from 1.2mm to 1.6mm thick.
I'd love to know what anyone else is using. I'll probably buy 10 each front and rear so I don't have to go through this again any time soon...

Last edited:
After unbelievable amount of time spent, here are my choices for reasonably priced with shipping tubes that fit normal size XS650 tires:

FRONT:
ProTrax PT1030
IRC T20072

REAR:
ProTrax PT1029 ***EDIT*** see below
IRC T20063

Protrax is one of very, very few street tires that tell you the thickness, in this case 1.3mm. That is why they are my top choice -- because they are up front on this spec. The Protrax PT1029 is super-popular on eBay, with one seller having sold 366 as of now.
Both the Protrax and the IRC are Butyl tubes. Some manufacturers say a mix of natural and Butyl rubber, which is the same as just saying Butyl, apparently.
The on-line descriptions and specs of tubes are incredibly deficient, confusing, and at times contradictory.
The ProTrax PT1030 is also pretty popular on eBay with the same seller having sold 155 as of now. They would probably sell more, except they describe it as a "rear" tube. On Amazon they do not specify front or rear. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a front or rear specific tube. See what I just said about the on-line descriptions and specs of tubes being incredibly deficient, confusing, and at times contradictory.
You're welcome.

***EDIT*** It turns out the ProTrax PT1029 is too big for a "standard" (stock size) XS650 rear tire. It is a 4.50-18 tube. Which translates to 110/90-18 or 120/90-18.

Original, inch-sized stock tire sizes are:
Front: 3.50 x 19
Rear: 4.00 x 18

I'll deal with 16" rears another day...

Last edited:
This is what I bought for a replacement on my XS2 rear tire, after picking up a screw and ruining the one I had in there. For what it’s worth :shrug: I believe IRC is supposed to be a good brand.
0BE8D234-56E9-4C97-900C-BA9FA4EF9687.png

Back