Intro, me and the bike

pk4hnd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 79 Special several years ago and it has sat waiting on some attention til recently. I have lurked the list since then and collected some invaluable tips, tricks, and new info. I owned a 77D years ago and loved it, so I am looking forward to getting my 79 back on the road.
It is 99% complete except for some small bits, which might be tricky to track down; like a missing battery box mount next to the tank, etc. I'm rebuilding a stuck front caliper at the present and just seeing how it stops and goes for awhile before I decide on a goal for the coming project. Thanks for a great group of XS people and knowledge!

Welcome. What do you mean by "missing battery box mount"? I removed all this from my '79 Special and may have what you need sitting in the garage.
Thanks for the welcome and reply! The box in my XS has 4 rubber mounts, 2 forward and 2 aft. The forward piece which uses the rubber isolators is missing. It appears that it uses 2 bolts thru the mount into the box itself. Of course, the two rubber isolators are missing also. The rear mounts are still in place, but as you know, the box flops around on only 2 mounting points. I would purchase the entire box if it still has the forward mounting bracket.

$25 shipped

PM me if your interested.

2013-04-06_09-40-39_556_zps41e05d73.jpg

welcome to the site!
I have what You need too.
I appreciate the quick response. I have managed to get a battery box with the missing pieces before I noticed your reply. Thank you for attempting to help with my project. Looking forward to participating in the forum.

Back