Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Well all I can say is you stole the tools, heck the boxes empty would probably be worth more that that!

But if that's the price she was asking I guess she's happy so that make two of you!

10 to 15 years back I might have been interested in some of those extras but now I have more than I can handle out in the garage.

matco9.jpg

What is this tool?

matco10.jpg

I think this one is a hose pincher, yes?

matco11.jpg

Perhaps a clincher for two-ear style hose clamps?

matco9.jpg

What is this tool?

matco10.jpg

I think this one is a hose pincher, yes?

matco11.jpg

Perhaps a clincher for two-ear style hose clamps?
Bottom one I believe is for these type clamps:
https://www.oetiker.com/Products/Clamps-and-rings/Ear-Clamps/PG--153_154

Middle one is for pinching off hose like a heater hose while working on heater or other such hoses.

Top one is for wire spring hose clamps, not sure of proper name off top of haed but the ons that can be nasty to bump you hand on while working near them!

Like these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-...q_0IGsikvvsV5YETX_AaAucVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Middle one is for pinching off hose like a heater hose while working on heater or other such hoses.
Yep... mainly for clamping brake lines when replacing wheel cylinders so you don't drain the master cylinder.

I thought that might be for the wire-style clamps. I have a cheapo pair that are only slightly better than a pair of slip-joint pliers. The adjuster threw me off.

Guess I'll keep all that stuff then, I can foresee uses.

Thanks!

Atlas/Craftsman 6", late 60's I think.
Bravo ! Gonna have some fun now. These are fine hobby lathes. Information, parts and tooling are all over the place. I don't recognize the chuck. Do you have the cover for the gear case ? When the gears are properly lubricated (Lubripate Gear Shield - nasty stuff) and the lathe is started up, grease goes everywhere.

Thanks, everyone!! That's why I LOVE this forum, so many great folks here, willing and ready to help!
I need to get everything inventoried, get it cleaned up, and mounted to a better bench.
I've been trying to score a lathe for some time, but everything around me gets snapped up so fast. I lucked into this one.
Bearings are nice and tight, everything regularly lubed. Came with some measuring tools, bits, drills, and yes, two four-jaw checks. The covers are there, although one is broken, but I'll braze it back together. I need to bull the spindle and replace the belt. Came with an antique 1/3hp motor in really nice shape. I'll rewire it before use, but it works great. Scored all for $400, which I didn't think was a bad deal.

Maybe not. There's a product called a link belt that you will be able to install without pulling the spindle. Link belts typically produce a smoother drive function than a 'V' belt.
You stole the lathe.
I thought about a link belt, wasn't sure how well they drive, or their durability. I might try one first.

Some things on the list ...
Run the belt a little loose, that way if you tuck a tool or a setup stops the spindle you have a chance to stop the machine before things break or fly. Alternatively an adjustable breaker (not cheap but I had one) works.

Tooling, oh my. Where to start. Three jaw, four jaw, collet chuck, quick change tool post, HSS & HSST tool bits, boring tools, change gears...

The list is nearly endless but you'll find that as you want to make something new it will require tooling. I don't keep the receipts because I don't want to know.

Search groups.io for atlas craftsman 618 and join

more when you need it ...

Maybe not. There's a product called a link belt that you will be able to install without pulling the spindle. Link belts typically produce a smoother drive function than a 'V' belt.
You stole the lathe.

If that is as good as it looks, plus the other stuff in those pictures I would agree on the guilty charge!

To be honest I came into possession of a lathe if not identical very close to that one, for free! Mine had almost no tooling or measuring tools plus it was in about the same condition as the 1972 you see in the picture over to the left of this message!

I did sell all the gears, tool post and some other odds and ends to someone on this forum. Still have the bed, head and tail stock and a belt speed change. Not sure they are in usable condition, head stock gears are bad. Well the handle on the tail stock isn't broke and is shiny chrome! If anyone has interest in the parts still in shed let me know and I could post pictures. Due to weight shipping might be a deal breaker, even if the parts were free! Now if you happened to be passing through Syracuse NY some day.......

Well, poop.

I've been looking for a 4 jaw chuck for my antique Seneca Falls lathe since I got it. Pretty rare bird. The spindle is 1-9/16ths by 10 TPI which isn't common. The few I found that might fit were stupid expensive and halfway across the country or more. Not willing to drop that kind of coin on something I couldn't be SURE would work.

Saw an add on Craigslist for a Seneca lathe for sale that mentioned a 4 jaw. Contacted the feller and he said he wasn't willing to sell the 4 jaw separately but he had another one that he WOULD sell. We traded pictures and measurements and it seemed like it might work. Plus it was right here in Maine (tho 180 miles away...) so I figure this was the best opportunity to date.

So I grabbed a small face plate that fits my spindle, hopped in the RAV and drove down to Bailey Island, which is three bridges out to sea East of Brunswick.

Got there, chatted a bit and then tried my faceplate on the lathe that the chuck fit. Nope. Spindle is too small, or conversely, my faceplate is too big. 1-7/16 vs. 1-9/16. Discussed various ways to make an adapter but just not enough room to leave any meat on the adapter. Shit. It was a peach too, with both a 4 jaw scroll AND individual adjustments.

Looked over some other stuff he was getting rid of and grabbed a handful of stock to grind tools out of for a couple of bucks. Looked over his collection of machine tools (and tractors...) and was about to head home somewhat disappointed when he said "I feel bad about you driving all the way down here for nothing. How about I cut you a deal on this other 4 jaw?"

Pulled it down off the wall and looked it over and while it won't fit directly, it uses a backing plate mount which IS easily (relatively speaking...) made. Turns out we BOTH dodged a bullet as the chuck wouldn't have fit his lathe either - all his chucks are internally threaded for direct mount!

So I gave him about half of what he wanted for the other one and both of us were happy.

Plus, the new RAV4, on it's first real Road Trip, gave me 39 MPG calculated (NOT the computer guesstimate) which is amazing seeing as it's bigger and heavier than the Corolla I had previously that gave me a best of 36. PLUS it's AWD which should have put a dent in the mileage as well. I'm shickled titless.

Back