Is it possible to survive low compression?

Paddy399

Still Lots To Learn
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma, I have a '81 Special that has low compression on the right cylinder (120 on the left, 60 on the right). Using my amazing powers of educated guessing, I believe the head gasket is leaking. I've come to this conclusion because I have a significant amount of oil build up on the fins just below the gasket starting at the center of the right cylinder and spread across to the left side of the motor. It looks like the right side is leaking and running to the left side when the bike is on it's side stand.

Here's where things get complicated. I plan on tearing the bike apart this fall giving myself plenty of time to get it ready for next season. I don't really have the time or the garage space to do a head gasket swap until the beginning of August. And also, I can only ride until mid-late September.

So my question is this, can this motor hold up for a few months without a new head gasket (again, assuming that is my problem)? When I ride it now, the only problem I really notice is some coughing and back firing out of the right side when I let off the throttle. How much damage can I be doing? Am I going to be making my life a living hell when I tear it all down this fall?

Do the head bolt torque it often stops leaks. The low compression might be unrelated. Run air in the cylinder at TDC compression stroke, listen to where it is going.

A few years back my '81 650 started to leak in the center of the cylinder, than after a ride I noticed it was worse actually had a line of oil down the engine, so I could not ride it anymore it happenned to leak more all of a sudden so keep a eye on it.

Do as Gary suggested. Mine was leaking and it solved my problem. Also it doesn't hurt to sync your carbs. Mine was backfiring on decel and they were way off. Mine actually has low compression on both cylinders and I'm also going to rebuild it this winter. My compression test is 100psi on both. I will be doing the je700cc high compression route with mine.

I really should start reading more posts about similar problems before I post my own. From what I can tell from other posts, I didn't do the compression test correctly.:banghead:

I hope to redo that tomorrow if I get the chance. Tightening the head bolts will have to wait till the weekend...

Back