Is there a right way to fit rear shocks?

ukfactotum

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been covered previously but I'm fitting a new pair of Hagon shocks to my 1977 UK spec bike.

My question is simple - is there a right / wrong way to fit them? The shocks are brand new from Hagon and if I fit them straight from the box, i.e. with small bush at the top and larger bush at the bottom (bushes were fitted) and the Hagon logo the correct way up then they look like this:

hagonshocks1.png

Convention would suggest that the shock is fitted upside down. Is this so? Does it matter which way round a shock is fitted, i.e. will it affect its performance?

Any advice very much appreciated.

I don't know if there is a performance difference right side up or upside down.
But you have them installed the conventional way
That's the way I would install them

You have them correctly mounted. There are shocks that are designed to be mounted and used upside down but yours aren't that type.

Your shocks are mounted the correct way, according to Hagon's setup guide, found here:

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/common/pagedetail.aspx?PageCode=setup

However, Hagon also offers shocks with adjustable damping, "2810 Adjustable Shocks"
These should be fitted with the body at the top, and rod at the bottom. In any case, the setup guide states that the "Hagon" sticker should be the right way up, as a general rule.

Back