is this 1979 xs650 special II worth $650

hope yamaha fired that starter engineer.....woulda been better off with a pulley and rope like on a lawnmower

i remember the late 60's the excitement of purchasing products was there......now i walk into at store whether it be a motorcycle or car dealership and nothing puts a fire under me....dull designs...alotta plastic.......i must be getting old or im living in a world where the manufacturers have gotten so lost in complicated designing they all have forgoton "simple,uncluttered and functional" ..that would be the new different .....that xs650 as junky as it was brought me that feeling of excitement i had when i was 16 for the simple reason of a simplistic basic design....the only thing better than that is the aqua green xs650...i think its a 74

thanks Austrailia(650skull).....i wish i lived there....bet the countryside is amazing.....

The country side is nice but it is relative to what you haven't seen. Very variable here but the distance to get anywhere can be a pain. Has its pluses and minuses and a big minus is the price of an XS650 over here................Or any second hand bike compared to the US

Another one to try is searchtempest.com. I haven't used the one Twomany mentioned, so I can't comment on which is better.

i must be getting old or im living in a world where the manufacturers have gotten so lost in complicated designing they all have forgoton "simple,uncluttered and functional" ..that would be the new different .....that xs650 as junky as it was brought me that feeling of excitement i had when i was 16 for the simple reason of a simplistic basic design...

I feel like the closest manufacturer to try something like that was Buell, with their air cooled bikes. They were simple, reliable and the easiest available to maintain. The inevitable problem with trying something different, is that no one gives you a chance. Motorcyclists aren't the *most* accepting of change haha. Sportbikes have to get faster, lighter, more expensive, and more complicated, or people think they're junk, and cruisers have to stay exactly the same as they were 40 years ago, or they don't fit in. Those are really your only two choices. I can handle FI, but I've just about lost interest in any modern bike that comes with traction control, ABS and 8 different ride modes. I just want an engine and some wheels.

Sorry to hear about the XS. You'll find a better one! It sounded like a great deal, but it definitely sounded like more work than you were looking for short term.

I think the simplicity of the XS650 is so refreshing in this age of fuel injection, water cooling, ABS, traction control, multiple ride modes, computer controlled engine management, variable ignition advance curve etc. etc.
If anything goes wrong, its back to the dealer for maintenance @ maybe $125/hour.

I've read where some of the new crop of supermachines are throttle-by-wire. There was an uproar when seasoned pilots had to transition to fly-by-wire Airbus, and I feel the same uneasyness.

Remember the automotive throttle-by-wire fiascoes of several years ago?

Gimme cables, or gimme death...:hellno:

2M............................when I hear of mysterious plane crashes, I wonder if there is too much reliance on fly-by-wire. Maybe there should be a mechanical (cable) back-up, ready to take over if the computer/electronics fail.
There was very recent airplane crash, here in Calgary, that killed 2 very experienced instructor pilots. It was a twin engine prop used for training, and it appears to have crashed with all of its parts still on the plane. It did not break up in flight.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tsb-pilots-instructors-johnson-bird-1.4000744

RG, interesting bird, that Italian Tecnam P2006T. Rather than cables, it uses push/pull rods. They went down in the practice area, where you do unusual attitudes and emergency routines. A pair of anemic 98hp Rotax engines, and a strange, somewhat short wingspan. My gut tell me possible single engine practice routines (engine restart proc on these is a bit more involved), low airspeeds, and lethargic responses to adverse yaw, with a bit of cross-control, may have snap-rolled and led to an unrecoverable death spiral (not the same thing as spin).

The big thing with the Airbus fly-by-wire was the substitution of flying knowledge and experience, with the quicker reacting, but not expansive knowledge computer decision tables. Sort of a learn by crash. A very tricky and controversial area. Especially when you learn that the original autopilot/autoland implimentation disallowed pilot intervention. The computer, with its numerous sensors, is well aware of its localized situation, but can't see beyond the nose at things that require trend management. For example, the autoland may excel at perfect landings, but it won't see the sinkhole or bomb crater in the middle of the runway.

I had a throttle position sensor (TPS) acting up on my Blazer. Intermittant, twice caused the engine to surge, like an invisible foot on the gas. I took it apart (a precision rheostat), and found a birdsnest of fine wire clumped around the wiper. That design flaw went thru my mind during those drive-by-wire car crash investigations. Remember the rapid side-stepping when fingers were pointed at the foot petal sensors?

Last edited:
2M ..... I tried that "all inclusive" search and it didn't list several XS650s that are currently listed in my local area (TN, AL, KY) on CL. Also tried several other methods I found on Internet for an "all inclusive" search, with same result. Not sure why. It takes longer, but I usually click on nearby cities in top left corner of CL page and go from city to city in my region. I slowly move farther away from home until I decide I don't want to drive or ship from that far away. Any ideas?

I've found the same problems with CL searches so I do it the same way - just changing the area and moving further away each time.

Yea, once you enter your city and search XS650, then you can just click upper left arrow to change cities and it automatically searches the other cities/areas you choose. You don't have to re-enter "XS650". Works well.

a guy answered an ad i had posted "looking for a motorcycle"....he had a 91 vt600c shadow chain drive....said he'd let it go for $675,,,,,i went to look at it yesterday.....real nice bike....wouldnt stay running......i just know its gotta be clogged carbs or fuel filter,,,,,so i bought it...put $200 down....gonna pick it up tomorrow....nice guy...64 years old...he had like 4 bikes...3 honda's and 1 harley......so ill probably get it running and cruise around on it for a while......and maybe around april or may if im bored with it ill sell it and go back to hunting down a xs650 .....maybe even a 78 xs1100 special...one of those were brought to my attention.....anyway...

thanks for all the kind help and advice.....im not changing sides just testing the waters.......even if i stayed with the honda id still be asking you guys on this forum for mechanical info rather than the honda site.....everyone here is so knowledgeable and kind i just wouldnt feel right asking anywhere else.....i even donated a small amount to this site and will continue to do so because id hate to see it be shut down....

.so....its off to family stuff today with the wife :)

Last edited:
Hey Tom. The XS1100 "Special" was not available in USA until 1979. It's the XS1100SF and it's a beast! In 1978, the "Standard" was the only XS11 available here. Yamaha also made XS11's in '80 and '81, but changed body styles, leaned the crap out of the carbs, and added the 85mph speedo which the bike will do in 2nd gear! They also made a "Midnight Special" (gold and black) in '80 and '81. Anyway, you have said you like the '79 XS650 body style better than the later ones, so if you do look at XS11's, the '79 model is the "Special" you would probably like better. Glad you got a ride for now. Hope things work out!

a guy answered an ad i had posted "looking for a motorcycle"....he had a 91 vt600c shadow chain drive....said he'd let it go for $675,,,,,i went to look at it yesterday.....real nice bike....wouldnt stay running......i just know its gotta be clogged carbs or fuel filter,,,,,so i bought it...put $200 down....gonna pick it up tomorrow....nice guy...64 years old...he had like 4 bikes...3 honda's and 1 harley......so ill probably get it running and cruise around on it for a while......and maybe around april or may if im bored with it ill sell it and go back to hunting down a xs650 .....maybe even a 78 xs1100 special...one of those were brought to my attention.....anyway...

thanks for all the kind help and advice.....im not changing sides just testing the waters.......even if i stayed with the honda id still be asking you guys on this forum for mechanical info rather than the honda site.....everyone here is so knowledgeable and kind i just wouldnt feel right asking anywhere else.....i even donated a small amount to this site and will continue to do so because id hate to see it be shut down....

.so....its off to family stuff today with the wife :)

Well, it was an interesting discussion, while it lasted, tomykoz.
Yes, do post us a pic of the Honda.
However, I anticipate that we will see you return to the XS650 excitement in a year or two, and we'll be ready to assist.
There's a ton of them out there.
Good luck!

IMG_20170306_160252.jpg

Finally some deal went thru that I didn't ruin.....And yes....I wish it were a xs650..... But I'll make this right and ride it a little ....And I'm sure when the right deal pops up I'll get an xs650.....Cause I truly believe an xs650 represents motorcycling in the purest of forms and puts that thrill back into riding in an age of mass produced boring motorcycles...
This shadow included....I'm almost bored already just looking at it
:)

Back