It's time to start a winter Project. The Red Bike

When drilling a disc, there are a couple important points to consider. First, for improved cooling, you want to create more surface area, and you will create the most by making the holes the same size as the disc is thick. Here's a thread on it .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/drilled-disc-hole-sizes.59637/#post-692555

The second important point is you want the holes to cover the whole pad swept area. To achieve that, the edge of one hole should overlap the edge of the next one like so .....

HoleOverlap.jpg

Unfortunately, that old disc from Griz's stash doesn't meet either of those requirements. One more thing - to keep the pads scraped clean, you want to leave the holes sharp edged (don't countersink them). They look countersunk on that one. So, to me anyway, that disc is nothing more than shop wall art now, lol.

Unfortunately, that old disc from Griz's stash doesn't meet either of those requirements.
Sorry, I got lost on that statement and can't find my way; the rotor isn't drilled right or not a candidate for drilling? (I can't find the rotor in question).:umm:

Sorry, I got lost on that statement and can't find my way; the rotor isn't drilled right or not a candidate for drilling? (I can't find the rotor in question).:umm:

He's whining about this one.
1666370106706.png

It obviously had been used for "quite a while", cleaned up fine on the lathe with a flap wheel in a hand grinder.
"It'll work just fine" LOL

Yes, I guess it will work, it's just not done properly. The holes don't overlap and most of them are too big. That means the whole pad surface won't be scraped clean and the most additional surface area hasn't been created. These discs are a dime a dozen, I'd just start over, lol.

Jig.jpg

Centerpunched.jpg

Looks like one more item on the shopping list, tapered rollers, and one more process to search in the forum. Tubes came out easy but I will put a straight edge on the triple clamps any way to ensure they are not twisted.
16665495605015438045066900842835.jpg

Cut the rear tire off the original 16" rim. 4 cuts to the rim on one half (180 to 220 degrees)and leveled the other side of the 20+(MDJ203) year old tire off the rim so I can take the rims and rear hub to the scrapper. PM if I need to save the drum hub and brake.

I will save it. I was gauging the need. The rim is bent so I will disassemble it. Who wants it for the freight? Backing plate included. 19inch chrome front rim too. Rear is bent.

I found that a narrow punch at the closest angle possible to the casting base got the lower race moving on the stem. Tap, tap...go to the other side (really only about 120 degrees around the back of the stem), tap, tap.. Repeat. Squared up the tip on the disc sander first.
16666545121916326833249565418558.jpg
16666544643121599815517641596403.jpg

My 11 and 12 size spoke wrench didn't fit, too small, the spokes on my rear wheel. I know I disassembled the front so I looked everywhere for a 13/14 combination. It's easy for you guys who have done this stuff forever... shit, the 8, 9 are bigger! Gauge I imagine now... 😉

Last edited:
Back