Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Marty, Marty, Marty.....my boy, this IS a real one.

It is just smaller than the ones built by Boeing Vertol. :D;)
Mine had a .50 cal machine gun in the door. Operating it was all fun and games for me, due post Vietnam service.

BTW, we referred to those airplanes as "frogs". The CH-53 was known as "Shitter". I was a Shitter mechanic!

1658767864219.png

Link.

Operation Credible Sport was a United States military aircraft modification plan in late 1980 to prepare for a second rescue attempt of the hostages held in Iran using C-130 cargo planes modified with rocket engines to land them in a stadium

Found the UTube link

1659065457978.png

1659065530819.png

Last edited:
Watched this one the other day. The IWM's videos are great... as far as historical accuracy.
Sadly, far too many people watch "The History Channel" here in the U.S.. As far a getting history right, they might as well watch "Looney Tunes" Awesome video.

Sadly, far too many people watch "The History Channel" here in the U.S.. As far a getting history right, they might as well watch "Looney Tunes" Awesome video.
Apples to oranges....

One's a museum dedicated to the preservation of history.... kept alive by endowments and such.
The other is an "entertainment" network who's work is loosely based on historical points of reference. They have shareholders and operate as a for profit business. They don't have the luxury of being "purely" historical as a museum does.

When viewed in the proper context, both can be enjoyable.

Untitled.png

I
Apples to oranges....

One's a museum dedicated to the preservation of history.... kept alive by endowments and such.
The other is an "entertainment" network who's work is loosely based on historical points of reference. They have shareholders and operate as a for profit business. They don't have the luxury of being "purely" historical as a museum does.

View attachment 220663
I get
Apples to oranges....

View attachment 220663
All I was pointing out is that many people think that what they are watching is factual, kinda' like people who use Wikipedia as a source. I just don't understand why they have to fudge facts. I so miss Speedvision. They had ""Two Wheeled Tuesday" and "Winged Wednesday". "Winged Wednesdays" especially, as it was in documentary format,

All I was pointing out is that many people think that what they are watching is factual, kinda' like people who use Wikipedia as a source.
For what it's worth, Wikipedia is a valuable source for factual information. I even used it when I was teaching. As far as aircraft go, I've read through the Wiki pages of aircraft I've worked on and never found a factual error worth mentioning.

Would I use it as a factual based source for religion and political based info.... absolutely not.
But as long as you use other sources for verification, Wiki can be a very useful tool.

For what it's worth, Wikipedia is a valuable source for factual information. I even used it when I was teaching. As far as aircraft go, I've read through the Wiki pages of aircraft I've worked on and never found a factual error worth mentioning.

Would I use it as a factual based source for religion and political based info.... absolutely not.
But as long as you use other sources for verification, Wiki can be a very useful tool.
I agree with you. They have a de

Agreed. I use it, but like all sources I try to back it up with something.

Back