Just picked this bike up. (I think it's a 1971)

Mrunclegibbons

XS650 Member
Reaction score
IMG_20210310_171406714_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210310_171406714_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210310_171329310_HDR.jpg
Hey there!
New to the xs family (I'm pretty sure that's what this is). This bike had been sitting in a garage for about 30 years and I picked it up for $350. Hope that price is right.
Anyone know where I can source a good manual to this bike? Where do you like to get your parts? This thing is pretty much all there. I just gotta give it some tlc and I believe she'll live again.

I'll post about this project as it comes along or if I get stumped on anything working on it.

Take care!

It looks like a bargain to me
Unless the Sheriff comes haul it away ...
Assuming a shot motor .. with high mileage still
I know titles are important over there .But I can se Frame / Tank / Saddle
and other parts that are attractive.

Hey! You been pokin' around my shed? :cautious:
View attachment 186690

Haha hey nice bike! I'm gonna search around for a .pdf but if my search is unfruitful I will gladly take that manual off your hands.

It looks like a bargain to me
Unless the Sheriff comes haul it away ...
Assuming a shot motor .. with high mileage still
I know titles are important over there .But I can se Frame / Tank / Saddle
and other parts that are attractive.

I'm gonna work on titling it pretty soon. We'll see how that goes. As far as the motor goes, there are only 9k miles on the ticker. And it's not seized, so that's a good sign. I'm amazed at how well the tank and seat have been preserved. No side covers though :( why can't folks hang on to these??

In my view a repaint
is plan H or so far down in line and time
plan A is to keep it washing and polishing waxing
We are talking a 50 year old tank .. without dents as it looks.
From a state with dry climate ---- It may well be the last tank ever found in such a condition.
Factory paint ( If it is so ) is as a rule better done with better surface preparation
than most repaints.
It is a part not getting cheaper over the years to come
Of course people do what they like with their bikes and parts
I do believe a repaint is something one will regret in this case .
Personally I would not repaint it even if it had a dent.
Side covers of some kind can be fixed .. Worst case hammer something out yourself.
But not tanks in good condition.. Factory paint .. Those are disappearing... if not already gone.

Just needs a good clean. Maybe tyres, get it running and go from there.
That would be £2000+ in the UK.
Good buy.

All in all that's is my position also ..the same price about here also --- perhaps a little more.if a Runner and Low mileage
I do however see a leak at the Head gasket ..that might need attention rather soon or immediately.
Depending on skills , plans and resources.
Since it is leaking both sides I would hope for it to disappear after the re torque
There are different Procedures as to get it started.
This being in a warm climate the carburetors seems to regularly need cleaning is the consensus
I would most likely then oil the cylinders ..and try to get oil up to cylinder heads and then see what happens
It would be a shame splitting the engine with that low mileage in my view. I would try to avoid that

My dad had a '68 CB350 with those short glass pack mufflers, and I have a KZ400 with them. Both bikes sounded awesome, not loud at all. Maybe I'm just partial to the looks of them, but I really do like the look of them. Yours are a bit different shape in the two swaged areas.

Last edited:
That's a really clean bike and a steal at $350! Congrats! You've come to the right place for all the info you could ever want for that machine, some really knowledgeable folks here.

Back