Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some places its still not peak and other places its past peak...
TODAY2.jpg
TODAY3.jpg
TODAY1.jpg

IMG_20221007_134232.jpg
IMG_20221007_134316.jpg
IMG_20221007_134447.jpg

Yeah they're calling it peak but it's on the downhill side. 😿
:confused: Yup. Ours went from "not quite peak" to "dammit!" literally overnight thanks to high winds and heavy rain.

Forecast says sunny and just a touch of a breeze today, so I'll be vacuuming up the leaves from the big maple in the back yard today.

Perfect Fall day here - wall-to-wall sunshine, mid 50's.

Runnin' leaves. I bought a Milwaukee battery powered blower for cleaning grass clippings off the walks and flower beds, turns out it works slick as a smelt for piling leaves too! Always thought they would just make a bigger mess than you started with, but once you get a windrow going, you can roll it up pretty neatly. Plus, it doesn't pick up sticks and stones like a rake does. MUCH easier on the shoulders and elbows too!

Sticks and stones are an issue because because once piled up, I use a Toro corded lawn vac which sucks them up, shreds them and bags them. A stick will plug up the works and stones are obviously hard on the impeller.

The shredded leaves are a great addition to my compost pile, but in moderation. The bulk of them get dumped in a wet hole in the back corner of my property. There are piles of leaves back there 4-5 years old that haven't completely composted as I don't mess with turning and aerating them so they get compacted and slimy.

leaves.jpg

That's about 2/3 of ONE maple tree in the back yard, shredded and partially compacted. Gorgeous tree, but if I left the leaves down it would kill the lawn for 50 feet in every direction.

For the last 3 years I've been just running over the leaves and shredding them real fine (back and forth)
Doesn't hurt the lawn any in fact my lawn looks better because of it
I have to do it 2-3 times as the leaves are coming down but no more bagging for me

For the last 3 years I've been just running over the leaves and shredding them real fine (back and forth)
Doesn't hurt the lawn any in fact my lawn looks better because of it
I have to do it 2-3 times as the leaves are coming down but no more bagging for me
I'm even lazier, wait til spring, mow (shred) once before the grass starts growing, done.

View attachment 228057

Beautiful photos! So how are you enjoying the scooter life? I can see the appeal of those maxi scooters! 😃
Thanks Bob..I'm loving the scooter life...Coming from an ST1100....I wanted a maxi scooter..Darn thing is heavy ..500# but its c.o.g. is low so its not the beast my ST1100s were...Very easy to ride and with a light throttle hand I am getting 55 mpg...But the main reason i bought it was for the ease of operation...No clutch to pull,no gears to shift..And more comfortable ergos than a m.c....I wish I had done this several years ago...😁
As yard maintenance goes..our Husqvarna backpack blower will blow even heavy gravel..wet leaves and pine straw(needles)..We're surrounded by woods so no raking ,,mulching or burning..just blow everything back into the woods...and we're good...We have Loblolly Pines ..White Oaaks and Sweetgum trees..the spiked balls from the Sweetgum tree are a PITA to blow..and we have a ton of acorns from all the Oak trees...Pine straw from the pines gets so thick its like a carpet..But the blower takes care of it all...

Last edited:
I'm even lazier, wait til spring, mow (shred) once before the grass starts growing, done.
I doubt I could get my mower through the leaves if I waited. They'd be at least a foot and a half high.
Back in the day when I had free labor around it would be a weekend of just raking and dumping. Now I mow once a week just to pickup/shred and they get dumped into a compost heap in the garden.

A look at all the leaves that will BLOW into my yard soon because most folks west of me don't rake. They don't need to. :doh:
Looking directly west of my house...I guess I could/should drag my '77 into the street and retake this shot.:cool:
DSC02430 (3).JPG

What year is your LX178? Mine is a '95 bought new and still running strong 27 years later.
I bought mine used (lightly) in 97 or 98 so it would be maybe 96? Best grass cutting rider ever in my opinion. Liquid cooled Kawasaki v twin, the mulching "Pirrana" deck and grease zerks for the important points. I sold it to my neighbor when I downsized 5 years ago and he loves it still.

What year is your LX178? Mine is a '95 bought new and still running strong 27 years later.
The LX178 is a perfect mower for 3/4-2 acre lots with some elevation changes (hills) . It was paired with 42-44 inch decks which deal with hills without scalping. This all is before the zeroturn revolution.

Back