Kickstarting!!!

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I seem to have forgotten how much trouble my first xs650 was to kick start. Is there a certain technique to it? I can start my XS with the electric, but so far no kick.

turn the petcock to fuel. Kick it over a couple of times to get the fuel going, then turn on the ignition,making sure it's in neutral. Slowly push down the kicker until you "feel" TDC, when the piston is on top. Give a little gas, and a bit of choke, and kick over. This SHOULD work after one or two kicks!

Well, that's how mine starts!

I guess I am of the opinion that if it doesn't start easy while kicking there is a problem. Clean the carbs, check for a strong spark and check the timing. I don't give it any throttle while kicking. I use choke if it's the first start of the day or it's cold air temp.

All three of mine usually start first kick warm and second cold. Any more than three and I set aside time to work on the bike.

Yup, they are easy kickers. From cold, choke on find tdc, ignition on, kick. Doesnt need to be a huge jump. Just a good swift kick. Mine, even after sitting over winter is a one or two kicker.

Hi shadow,
Here's how to kick a big single but it also works on 360º twins.
Put the bike in 2nd gear and pull it backwards until you feel the engine come up on compression.
Shift back into neutral then kick.

I have a 1983 XS650 Heritage Special, choke on tdc, ignition on and kick it should fire, (now when you kick it, let kick lever go down, then kick it. Don't get on flip kick out and jump right on It, you may break your leg lol).

I am new to the site and have the same problem. I am trying to start my bike for the first time after winter storage. I kicked the hell out of it yesterday and she didn't even sound sound like she wanted to go. Is spraying quick-start in the carbs a bad idea?

Tom it is better to find why it is not starting first. Fuel,air,spark and it fires( plus compression.) Without any of these components no fire.

Thanks fellas. That is today's project. Is there a simple way to check for spark with a kick-start-ony bike if I am working alone?

sure pull one of the plugs ground it to the engine so its cant come ungrounded then kick.
look for a spark. the darker the better.

And I agree with the guys If it don't start after a few kicks something is up.
cold start is chock on no throttle as soon as it fires I rev.
warm start no chock no throttle as soon a s it fires I rev

Hi Tom, Carbon,
better to pull and ground both plugs so the motor spins over real easy. That way you can even push the kicker by hand while taking a close look at the plug.
BTW, some bikes are real fussy about cold starts. A friend's Ariel would reliably start first kick but only if you didn't open the throttle.
Kick with the gas open and you'd kick your heart out before she fired.
As for kickstarting Velocettes, that's more like a religious ritual.

I am not detecting any spark.I checked all electrical connections and the only fuse I could find. All looks good. This bike has no battery so battery problems are no consideration. I also cleaned both plugs. I am out of ideas.

It is a 1981 XS650 motor in a custom bobber frame. The electrical is pretty basic I think. Like I said, there is no battery. It generates it's own power once it starts.

Got any pics of the electrics??It also helps us if you post what bike you got in your signature. What type of PMA do you have? Has the bike run in the past?

I have had troubles starting my battery-less bobber a couple of weeks ago. Thinking of adding a small battery, got to find space though!

It should have more than one fuse? what year and model is your bike?

Hi Richard,
Tom sez the bike don't have a battery.
And if, as Tom sez, it was running without a battery when he parked it, that means either Tom or the dreaded PO has been messing with it.
So besides the bike's year and model we also need to know WTF's been done to it.

At first blush I was going to say your fuel circuits/pathways in the carb may be blocked from gas varnish. But if you tarped the bike, condensation causing corrosion in an electrical connection maybe be the culprit?

Back