lengthening stock headpipes

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
I've read the stock headpipes are "double walled". What does this mean as far as the possibilities for cutting them, adding a section, thereby lengthening them?

I need to make the section that comes down from engine to frame longer as the stock ones won't clear my footpeg mounts or my brake pedal. It's close...but that doesn't count - the pipe that runs back along the bottom frame rail needs to be lower, to clear this stuff.

If it's impossible to lengthen the stock headpipe, due to this "double walled" aspect, could you let me know? That way I won't butcher up a pair of headpipes someone else could use. I planned on cutting up a rusty Mac 2-1 system as a "donor" for the tubing.

Anyway, gotta walk the dog then go up to Harbor Freight for flap discs, so if someone could chime in one way or the other as to the implications of the "double wall" thing, that would be really really helpful!

Thanks!
(and maybe this thread, for the future, will be easily searchable for another person coming along looking for the same info)

ok I can't swear these are stock headpipes, but I cut the first one and I don't see any "double wall" anything....just pipe. Good! Now I'm gonna cut a piece out of a rusty mac 2-1 and try to add it to my headpipe, making the section from where it turns down from engine, to where it turns back towards rear of bike - LONGER. So the pipe that goes towards the back will sit a little lower and clear my pegs and rear brake mount/pivot.
full

So here's what I have at the end of the day. Will work on it tomorrow some more. Have a learned a couple of things to do differently on the left side one. Today I learned very clearly how important having a good neg cable connection is. Good connection? sweet weld, almost like TIG looking. Bad or so-so connection? blobby nightmare welds or spattery dribbles of misery.

I'd like to have inserts made of real thin metal, to join my pieces. Didn't have that for this one. Since, I found a piece of round scrap I have with an OD that will JUST slip into these pipes would be nice to put that in to hold everything tight prior to welding, but I'm afraid that it still being in there wouldn't be good for performance purposes, once it's running - as that "lip" the insert/shim would create would (I guess) disturb the flow of the exhaust gases. Dunno. ANyhoo, I am happy with the position this ended up in.
full

Yup em, you're right about the insert. You don't want that constriction in there. Would it cause serious problems? Probably not, but it would impede performance, so if you can do it without putting that in there you're much better off.
Keep at it! That pipe looks like it's running right where you want it... what more can you ask?

hi Teebs, thanks for the input. I am pleased with the position - if I can get the whole thing welded up with no holes I will be very very happy.
:) thanks for looking.

so all is not happy in la-la land over here. The other pipe is kind of being more of a bitch to get right. I'm looking at either cutting that pipe shorter (other side 2 then so they'd balance) OR cut my brake pedal pivot mount off of the frame and reposition it higher. Even with the pipe extended some it's still kind of close to the part of brake pedal that goes on splined shaft of pivot.
Will finish welding the pipe up first, and see how it sits. If it's good 3/8 lower than the brake lever then I'll go with it as is.

I dunno, right now I see a 50-50 chance I'll have to sh_t-can these, unfortunately.

Well if it's doesn't work out, at least you tried and probably learned a thing or two. :shrug:

And I'm pretty sure those aren't stock pipes.

there is a guy on fleabay that sells xs650 tt pipes that go under the center of the frame.

They're just over $100 for the pair.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bros-XS-650-Chopper-Bobber-Custom-TT-Exhaust-Pipes-/180555658342?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a09f4b466#ht_3091wt_932

and there are these tt pipes for even less. (i'm pretty sure these are the ones i'm gonna use)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/xs650-xs-650-Yamaha-flattrack-flat-track-TT-pipes-/270644447012?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f03aa8724#ht_500wt_949

there is a guy on fleabay that sells xs650 tt pipes that go under the center of the frame.....snip....

hey thanks for that link.

I think mine will work out, but I will have to cut them shorter than I would have liked. Right now they are about 3 inches longer than the kick up, but I will have to cut them right before the kick up. Relocate the baffles and use 'em like that, at least at first.
If they work well, fine - if not I'll probably get a set from Scott. (Gordon)

But like Travis mentioned, this is all good learning for me.
:)

i agree. it's a great learning experience.

what not buy some bends and make your own since you're getting practice with the old pipes?

there is a guy on fleabay that sells xs650 tt pipes that go under the center of the frame.

They're just over $100 for the pair.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Bros-XS-650-Chopper-Bobber-Custom-TT-Exhaust-Pipes-/180555658342?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a09f4b466#ht_3091wt_932

and there are these tt pipes for even less. (i'm pretty sure these are the ones i'm gonna use)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/xs650-xs-650-Yamaha-flattrack-flat-track-TT-pipes-/270644447012?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f03aa8724#ht_500wt_949
On my soapbox for this one! Ok, the first guy’s pipes (Bros) TT pipes that go under and bend out are going to drag the ground every turn! They don't come with flanges or brackets and they are using 90wall? Heavy tube and wrong size inner diameter. They also may cost $120 bucks but are charging $46.25 shipping thru P.O. :laugh: add cost of flanges and brackets and it’s no bargain. I have no love lost for these guys since they copied my drag pipes exactly to sell! Can't come up with there own stuff so they steel ideas from others. I know with a bike thats been around for 40yrs it's hard to come up with something new but you don't have to mass produce my idea. I have made pipes that are similar to ones I've seen but not EXACT copies :hellno: Anyway I fit EVERY set of pipes I make to a bike before they leave my shop. I also make the flanges and a welded on bracket system that connects my drag pipes on the backside to keep them parallel. Without these extra steps and brackets there is no guarantee the pipes will fit like they should. 1/2 degree off on a bend up front is 1" off at the end. Now the other guy "Gary" (Kwqc on ebay) that sells “TT” pipes has been at this a long time like myself and has a good product, he has something to do with “Shell” I believe and knows a lot about the XS. He does not bend the pipes himself but they are constant in quality. His pipes are 1 3/4" so if running a stock motor you need torque cones for his pipes. I'm done ranting unless someone has something stupid to say :boxing:

Last edited:
Welllll.... now that you mention it...

Seriously though? 90 wall? Who frikkin does that? 11 gauge pipes. Ridiculous. :laughing:

i agree. it's a great learning experience.

what not buy some bends and make your own since you're getting practice with the old pipes?

I could see doing that at a future date, but I guess at the moment what seems most important is getting a sense of the "whole" with this bike. We'll see! Got some petcocks today so it's yet a bit more "complete." Won't make any progress this weekend, as I'll be in Daytona, but soon! This thing is starting to resemble a motorcycle. (well except for those folks who wish to deny motorcycle-hood to choppers)

All the stock headpipes are double wall pipe. They did this so the outer pipe won't turn blue. Basically a pipe inside a pipe.

Back