Location of Key Codes on Later Models

browndawg

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for the four-digit key code on my 1981 XS650. I know the older models had the key code stamped into the metal face of the ignition, right there next to the key slot, but the later models don't have the code there.

Do you guys know where to find it? I've been searching and searching but haven't found the answer.

Thanks so much, y'all!

It's located on the bottom of the switch. It will be a letter followed by a 5 digit number. They can be very hard to see and usually requires removal of the switch, at least for my weak eyes. Ebay #390390401054

I checked and an 82 tank in the shed has the number on the cap in plain sight. Can't say for certain it hasn't been swapped though.

Thanks, guys!

I was hoping it would be on the gas and seat locks, but no dice. They're completely bare. I'll check the bottom of the switch tomorrow.

Lost my key like an idiot, and can't find the spare. I figure the only fool-proof method to find the original key is to order up a new one ;)

Those are easy locks, a lock smith can make a key from one of the cylinders. Been there done that.

Hi browndawg,
I just looked and there's no ID# on any of my Heritage Special's locks neither.
If you have a key you can get more keys cut to it's pattern.
If you ain't, remove the switch and take it to a locksmith and see if he can make a key to fit.
[Edit]
Rebel posts that the ID# is marked on the switch underside.
I did not know that.
When you get new keys, get six.
On the bike keyfob. In your billfold. Taped inside the bike sidecover. In your sock drawer. In your bank deposit box. At your mom's place.

Guys, I want to thank all of you for your help! Y'all rock!

I found the key code on the underside of my ignition switch. With a little fiddling, I was actually able to swipe it clean and read it without even removing the switch.

I ordered up a new set of keys from bel-ray64083 on eBay, as recommended in another post.

Again, thank you so much for the help. @fredintoon, I'll have copies made and make sure the sock drawer and mom's house are stocked ;)

Back