Wanted - Looking again for dirt cheap xs650, last one fell through.

wmarsh4

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a few things come up around the time i was suppose to pick up my first bike causing me to miss out on a GREAT deal of 350 bucks (really regret it) so im trying this again. looking for a xs650, condition doesnt matter, running is great, but dont have to be. appreciated the help from the first post also.
planning on doing a thread on my build from start to finish. any leads once again would be great, thanks.

Last edited:
Got my first 650 in sight, my uncle's basement, any recommendations on which hardtail you prefer and why? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks. If you can post a picture of your bikes with your setup that's cool to. Thanks.
Also stretch and rake for someone 6'1" and option of adding chick pad.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
First and foremost......get the bike and get it running.
Second, get the bike and get it running.
Once it's running and running well THEN break out the sawzall and go to town.

First and foremost......get the bike and get it running.
Second, get the bike and get it running.
Once it's running and running well THEN break out the sawzall and go to town.

Well she ran when parked yrs ago. Ain't tried since, he said the carbsneed rebuilt. I plan on rebuilding alot of the motor,

Posted via Mobile

When I started my build my buddy and I just dove right in head first. Cutting, welding, stripping off random crap we didn't need, and had the "we'll tackle that when we get to it" attitude. There were huge question marks hovering over the bike the entire time it was on the stand. Luckily and I say luckily everything turned out ok. But I was sinking a lot of time and money into a bike I didn't even know ran.

Don't take my path of high risk fabrication. Get it running first and foremost. Once that is done it is a motivational booster to get the bike built the way you want it. I even went as far as entering it into the Canadian International Motorcycle Show in a non functional state. At that time it hadn't run in years. Still came in 3rd in my class but wasn't where I wanted or needed it to be. Take the advice given, get it running!!!

Ya getting it running is first on my list, spoke with my uncle this morning and he said whenever I'm ready to come get it it's mine. And I didn't even notice you were that close. Just gotta have a few days off to make it down.

Posted via Mobile

Anybody got a rough estimate on what a rebuild would be around if done at home? Or an estimate for just the top end?
The bike is a '72..

Posted via Mobile

Got any pics? What condition is that '72?
The later Specials are more desired for hacking on unless that '72 is trashed. Availability of motor parts may be more readily available too, though anything is possible.
As far as cost.....check out Mikesxs and 650 Central for parts and pieces.

Make a plan on what you want to spend on getting it the way you want it. Then double if not triple it. LOL. I started totalling up what I had spent and I gave up when I realized I went WAY over budget. The parts you want usually outweigh the parts you need when shopping. Just hide the CC bill from the significant other and you'll be fine.

Got any pics? What condition is that '72?
The later Specials are more desired for hacking on unless that '72 is trashed. Availability of motor parts may be more readily available too, though anything is possible.
As far as cost.....check out Mikesxs and 650 Central for parts and pieces.

Sorry meant 73, doin all this on my phone, and I wont know condition for sure until I pick it up. But he says its cherry, I cant seem to be lucky enough to find a later model for the price im gettin this one so I decided to settle I have a buddy that works im a metal machine shop. So hopefull I can save a few bucks making forwards and such myself. Motor he said the carbs need rebuilt thats it, but never know, so gonna be depending on all you elite pros on here for all of my help. Whats your name? I Used to have a buddy in Switzerland county county I cant get ahold anymore named kaleb?

Posted via Mobile

Make a plan on what you want to spend on getting it the way you want it. Then double if not triple it. LOL. I started totalling up what I had spent and I gave up when I realized I went WAY over budget. The parts you want usually outweigh the parts you need when shopping. Just hide the CC bill from the significant other and you'll be fine.

Ya, not tryin to get carried away lol want it to be somewhat budget built, but funds are there... im powdercoating and everything myself to save money. But I know ill spend more than I want to lol.

Posted via Mobile

Does anybody happen to know the name of the hardtail that's rounded at the end, short description but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about lol.
Thanks.

Posted via Mobile

I think you are looking for
david bird @lowbrowcustoms.:D

That's the one.. thank Ya sir.. to bad the bike I'm snagging is a 73, that's for few yrs newer... tc bros is my favorite look that fits right. Gonna go with that.
Thanks again for the help.

Posted via Mobile

better call and check with the brothers the 73 frame is a difrent width on the lower tubes
than the 74 and up frames. make sure befor you buy one ( I did not know this at first
and had to rebuild one a few years back befor I found xs650.com this place is great
lot's of help and info ) I sure if you call lowbrow they can set you up for your frame
but I too like the T.B.C. frames I have used 4 of them so far.

better call and check with the brothers the 73 frame is a difrent width on the lower tubes
than the 74 and up frames. make sure befor you buy one ( I did not know this at first
and had to rebuild one a few years back befor I found xs650.com this place is great
lot's of help and info ) I sure if you call lowbrow they can set you up for your frame

I just double checked the tcbros website and it says only for use of 1970-83. I be sure to double check with them before I place my order though, nice to see another that isn't to far away.

Anybody here with the t.c. bros hardtail show me some pictures, I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see em lol. Anybody feel free. Post any hardtail if you think you can change my opinion, thanks.

I just double checked the tcbros website and it says only for use of 1970-83. I be sure to double check with them before I place my order though, nice to see another that isn't to far away.

Back