Looking for comments on this, Condenser Tester?

Now back to that Fluke meter. I have used the Hz setting successfully to check the rpm on my lathe by sticking a magnet on the chuck and using the coil from a relay as the pickup. What would I have to do to use the Hz setting as a tachometer for the bike for tuning? Pehaps connect a probe to one AC alternator wire and divide the reading by 3??? Maybe connect to the coil to count pulses???

Geek Lives Matter :er:

Now back to that Fluke meter. I have used the Hz setting successfully to check the rpm on my lathe by sticking a magnet on the chuck and using the coil from a relay as the pickup. What would I have to do to use the Hz setting as a tachometer for the bike for tuning? Pehaps connect a probe to one AC alternator wire and divide the reading by 3??? Maybe connect to the coil to count pulses???

Geek Lives Matter :er:

...and if that shipment of dilithium crystals comes in, you can get the warp drive fixed and get the heck out of here - or at least slink away on impulse power! :lmao:

This is one of the things I love about this group of people all you need to do is post some abstract idea from a chainsaw forum and now you have someone adapting a frequency meter to an alternator to check the accuracy of the mechanical tack on a 40 year old motorcycle!

Oh! and some Canadian trying to repair his warp drive to escape the virus!

For all those desperate to know, the Hz function can be used as a tachometer.

My Virago does not have a dual spark coil so each coil fires every 2 revolutions of the crank. Taking Jim's suggestion I wrapped 4 and 1/2 turns around the right side spark plug lead using a scrap of enamelled wire and connected both the black and red meter leads. With the bike running at 1000 rpm, according to the tacho, I had very unstable readings that made no sense. By connecting only the black or only the red lead the reading had improved stability with 500 - 700 Hz (x2 gives 1000 -1400 rpm). I increased the idle to 2200 rpm according to the tachometer and the meter was very stable with 1200 Hz (2x gives 2400 rpm).

I conclude that with a dual spark coil the Hz function should give stable readings at idle for the XS650.

Confession time: My meter is a £14 Chinese copy.

Last edited:
Back