Maiden voyage-fuel issues

nickmo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good morning, I finally got my project assembled enough to ride so I ripped it down the street a few times.

Initially it gave me a few problems. The right side was starving for fuel and it ran very rich. My fuel line configuration changed because Im using a tank from a Honda, which I believe is the source of the right cylinder being starved. I'm not sure why it was running so rich though. After it warmed up a bit it all seemed to clear up and run fine. The several laps I took around the block went great and it was faster than I expected!

After I turned it of and let it sit I noticed that the carbs were leaking from one of the holes on the face of the intake. Not very fast, maybe a drop every minute or two. Just enough to keep a small spot on the case wet.

Anyways, here are my questions:

Why are the carbs leaking from that particular spot? And
Why is it running so rich on start up?

I was going to chalk it up to the floats but I thought I'd check with you all first.

There's a short video on YouTube that my brother took, if you search "nicks cafe racer" it should be the only one. I was a little long on the clutch:doh:

The setup is: 1979 special with stock carbs and open pipes with torque cones. No air filters for the test ride.

Float level and needle and seat would be what I would check first. If its starving for fuel that would be lean. I think you are confusing bogging to be fuel starvation when it is over fueling the cylinder. What do the plugs look like? What carbs are you running and jet sizes.

Posted via Mobile

nick are you using a honda fuel valve/petcock? they are nortorious for poor fuel flow to one side... I run a double tee arrangment on my cb450 to get enough gas to both carbs, I would imgagin a 650 with it's greater fuel needs would compound the problem

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 131
The carbs are stock, and as far as I know the jets are as well. More specifically, I was getting white vapor out of the left cylinder which never stopped firing, and the right cylinder would only start runnng when I choked it with my hand. I think the issue there is that fuel was only being pulled into the carb when I had my hand over it. I took the white vapor on the left as unburnt fuel and the right as being starved. I may be mistaken though, you may be right. I'm not using a petcock, I welded a pipe threaded nut to the tank and screwed in a brass fitting with a 1/4 barb. From there it's a single line to the filter and splits to go to each carb.

Back