Mandatory Upgrades/Repairs

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. About ready to start completely going through the '81 special and I was wondering if there were any lists or similar sets of mandatory/highly recommended upgrades and/or repairs to tackle while going through everything.

I already plan on doing a Brembo front rotor, hydraulic clutch, OD 5th, Pamco, PMA, solid state R/R, re-phase, Heiden oil sump filter upgrade, mild head work myself (just cleaning it up a little), and other things.

On my CB750, there was one guru who put out a book that had ALL of these standard tricks to perform when doing a full rebuild. Just wondering if any of the local guru's here had some must-do advice??

Apologies if this is posted somewhere else, I've tried searching for awhile and never could find what I needed. Thanks!

Hi wannabe,
stainless brake lines, an automatic chain oiler and lose the horrible rototiller bars.
And while it's not really a part of the bike, something (tank bag/saddlebags/carrier rack/whatever) to carry your stuff in.

In todays world of oring and xring chains, oilers are not necessary at all. 40,000km out of a oring chain with lube maybe every couple days on trips.

In todays world of oring and xring chains, oilers are not necessary at all. 40,000km out of a oring chain with lube maybe every couple days on trips.

Yeah, right. So long as you remember to do it.
And sealed chains are sealed to keep the lube inside.
If the roller to sprocket interface is allowed to run dry an expensive sealed chain will wear as fast as the $20 a box ag. chain from Princess Auto.

Just like you have to fill the oiler....so long as you remember to do it. People that cant remember to look after chains are "those people".. if you arent an absent minded dummy, cleaning here and there and throwing lube or wax on it once in a while, they will easily last a long time.

I have adjusted my versys chain twice in 29,000 kms. Once after i bought, and once after i had a tire changed in bangor maine....dealer did it to tight. Thats two jasper trips, and a trip across canada and into usa and home. Not counting my own tire changes, it stays fine between. Thats maybe a cleaning twice a year and wax at that time. Road trips are when i think about it, usually at night at hotel. Sprockets are starting to hook now a bit. New chain and sprox this winter.

I guess i shouldnt say unnecessary, but for what they cost i would spend it else where. But i feel that way about pma if the stock system is fine.

Back on subject. I don't care about a chain oiler. I created this more for things that are highly recommended to do when the bike is totally opened up. The tricks of the experienced builders. Free performance work or longevity mods are what I'm after.

along with the things you mention and the others have mentioned I might suggest tapered roller bearings for the steering neck.
New bronze swing arm bushing's.
I agree with a new ignition but not the PMA so much. The stock alternator works very well. The only advantage it really has is the no battery option. And that's not legal in NY. The bike has to have the lights lit with engine off.
On the sump filter, the stock one is fine. I've tried several options on filtration and I like the stock set up best. They filter well enough for the 1000 to 1500 mile oil changes. Cleaning the stock filters is much cheaper than using replaceable filters.
If your stock filter is torn just patch it. Having several all set up on sump plates make oil changes easy, just swap in a clean set, clean the dirty anytime.
Upgrading the carbs to the EX500 Ninja carbs is money well spent.
Minton mods to the front forks, new springs, experiment with oils to find what feels best to you.
New rear shocks.
Can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll add them.
Leo

No 750 kit, this is just going to have some mild power upgrades to make it easier to pass and get up to speed. I have my CB750 to build into a bigger bored bike in the future and my VTR1000 has more power than I could ever handle.

Well PMA was mandatory for me, as the PO had left the key on and the battery completely discharge all its acid across the setup, completely ruining it. (see pic)

I was already planning the tapered bearings and bronze bushings, thanks for pointing them out. Good info on the sump too, I figured that the heiden kit is actually pretty affordable ($45+ s/h, http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/3440/mo74-cg|22=3/%23ht-6501-sump-oil-filter-kit-heiden-tuning-).

I just purchased the set of PWK carbs from a member on here, so I think i'm good to go there, unless for whatever reason they don't work out. Good to know about the ninja carbs.

I'll be doing new, lower progressive rear shocks and progressive springs up front. not sure yet about the minton mods (need to read more into it).

Attachments

• 20121029_213811.jpg
    20121029_213811.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20121029_214205.jpg
    20121029_214205.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 117
Back